Has This News Article Already Been Posted?

I love that article. It really gets to the frustration level of the patients, caregivers and invested physicians.

Shame it focused only on teens and made it sound like everyone "outgrows" this in a matter of time. Moreover, I have to wonder if there is a longitudinal study tracking some of these teen POTS cases to see if they tend to relapse in their 30's or 40's etc.

Thanks for sharing the article. We should have a repository where we could put links to various research and "public service" articles like this one.

You don't know how thrilled I am to see someone in my state that treats POTS! And I looked him up on my health plan and he would be covered!!!!!!! This is such a blessing. Thank you Jennifer for posting about Dr. Feldman. Bend is far for us, but we could drive there in a day as opposed to flying to Mayo. The article was so correct in saying that this area of the country is DESPERATE for someone who treats POTS. I hope he will be willing to see me. Thank you!

I have to wonder if there is a longitudinal study tracking some of these teen POTS cases to see if they tend to relapse in their 30's or 40's etc.

I think this is what happened to me. I believe I could have been diagnosed with POTS in my teens/early twenties. After relapsing to illness more disabling than ever before, I was diagnosed in my 40's. I probably had 20 years of close to normal functioning - although not quite. I also wonder how many people experience this.

Summer

Like summer, i also wonder if this is was happened to me. When i was a child / teenager i felt dizzy and tachy a lot. I remember not being able to stand long. Another thing is, that my doctor prescribed me my first BB at the age of 14 and it made me feel even sicker. Well, nobody took me serious anyway. Then this period was followed up by many years were i felt quiet normal and ok. Then 2 years after i had my child (i was 27 then), my body acted up big time POTS wise. Ever since back then it waxes and wanes. I was finally diagnosed with POTS at the age of 36.

carinara

Firewatcher, thank you for putting this on this site. I still have yet to find a family to talk to who also has a daughter with POTS. This article was very well-written and got to the heart of POTS and also explained it so anyone would be able to understand it.

I am also interested to hear about longitudinal studies done on teens. My daughter is now 13 and we've been told that she has an excellent chance of outgrowing it. Dr. Grubb told us that because she got it so young that she may be asymptomatic by 15 or 16 years instead of late teens. That would be absolutely wonderful considering all that she's been thru for the last 2 years and 4 months.

I saved this aritcle and I'll read it again on the bad days when my hope is gone.

Thanks again!

Brenda