Feeling Adrenaline Rush

Sorry for you, I get these too and can't say I've found anything that works all of the time.

But there are somethings that work some of the time for some people. Such as:

* Take long, slow and DEEP breaths. Make sure you expand your belly when you inhale and pull your diaphram down towards your pelvic floor. This not only increases the amount of air in our lungs but it gives a little massage to our vagus nerve which tends to get a bit jumpy in a surge. The pushing and pulling of the diaphram as we breath in (and make sure you exhale completely) can help slow down the central nervous system.

* When there is a big energy cycle that we can feel in one part of our body ... there is a natural tendency to turn our attention on it and focus on the vortex of the surge. Instead, see if you can find ONE place in your body that is relatively less agitated. It may be a tiny spot on the sole of your foot, or the tip of your nose, or you might feel a sense of solidness in the palm of your hand. Direct your attention to this solid place in your body and just hang out there. Notice how big it is, if it is warm or cold. Avoid the temptation to get pulled back to the adrenaline surge and instead go deeper into this settled place you have found. After a while, you may notice that even the vortex of energy that you felt previously, has changed or shift in some way.

* Ice packs. Hot packs. When my ANS goes off ... all of my temperature sensing goes haywire. If I place an ice pack on the sole of my foot or a hot pack on my stomach, it tends to sooth the flare. Some people like ice cubes on their pulse points like wrists or back of the neck.

* Sometimes our hyperadrenergic reaction comes on because we've done something to trigger it ... getting over heated, over eating, standing for too long, even normal stresses of the day can trip us up if our central nervous system is over sensitized. If you know the trigger you can counter the duration (sometimes) by getting out of the sun, laying down, having a cool drink, misting water on your body. Each of us have an arsenal of things that seem to help us ... and sometimes we have to use ALL OF THEM!

Hang in there ... ultimately it passes, and I know it doesn't help to hear that when we are in the thick of it, but at times it is the best that we can do to just ride it out ... one storm at a time.

~EM

I can relate. Very uncomfortable indeed. When its really bad I take a beta blockers and try not to walk around much. My doctor believes that when this occurs its a result of epinephrine being utilised to maintain blood pressure to the brain when the normal systems involved (nerve activity, norepinephrine release, venous return) begin to fail for a variety of reasons.