Blood Pressure Fluctuations - Why Do They Vary Day To Day?

The good news is I've gotten over checking my BP 'too much' as I think it was driving me insane. :D

But when I'm feeling extra-crappy (like when trying to get up and moving this AM), I took it. It was 95/75. This was about 45 minutes after my AM medicine, so they hadn't kicked in. About a half hour later it was a more tolerable 107/77 and I could function much better.

My EP said POTS can cause crazy blood pressure fluctuations. And since I'm on a BB I really have to take the Midodrine so it doesn't go too low (and I agree, I could not handle a BB without Midodrine!)

I think when I'm more dehydrated, my BP is too low - do you guys see this? When I have to jump start my AM, coffee helps me too if I have to walk around, especially. I notice a big help (and my EP has seen this in SOME patients, too).

I also don't shower in the AM as that makes things too nuts.

Really I can't get a grasp on to how to have more control over the BP fluctuation, but maybe I am just asking for too much!

hello,

yes, the BP fluctuations are maddening... i can relate to the obsessive BP monitoring...

am trying to wean myself from the need to test repeatedly...

dehydration definitely exacerbates my symptoms...

water is a curative for me: generally within 10-15 minutes of drinking (minimum 10 oz) water

my diastolic and systolic pressure will rise by approximately 8-10 points... i find that maintaining hydration

is crucial to maintaining any sort of BP stability.

asides:

butcher's broom: i had been taking butcher's broom (cirucap formula-2x daily) and there was a decided

improvement in my BP---as well as energy levels, cognitive functioning... blissful while it lasted....

unfortunately my tachycardia worsened. however, the overall effect on my BP was impressive.

horse chestnut: was also very helpful in terms of elevating BP---but seemed to exacerbate

my tachycardia.

with healthful wishes,

cordelia

Hi,

You will see more fluctuations in the morning as you "rehydrate" due to excessive fluid loss overnight due to laying horizontal to sleep. This is why tilting the bed is recommended.

So, in the morning it is important to take your meds and rehydrate. If you overdo (or just do) caffeinate to early you are apt to just make things worse. Caffeine is a diuretic. Ingesting salt may help to retain some of the water consumed. Eating and being active and moving around will also help.

As far as drinking a lot of water relatively quickly, there are studies and some drs. recommend if you have a bout of low BP, to consume a glass of water in a relatively short period of time (less than 5 min. I believe). This causes a bodily response that automatically increases your BP. BUT, it can not be done frequently due to possibility of water intoxication. But, it can help when you feel ultra-cruddy... :D

Hope that helps some!

:)