Migraine With Syncope And Aura?

Guest elyag

Guest elyag

I've had Migraines with an aura for years..they seem to come in cycles. Taking a baby aspirin every other day has helped prevent them. I haven't been good about taking the aspirin over the past few weeks and got a migraine last night. As usual, the aura was there but it didn't come on for about 5-10 minutes. It started out like it always does, interrupted vision in my left eye but this time I also felt like I was going to faint. I had to lie down until the aura passed, about 30 minutes and I still felt like I might pass out. Eventually I was able to sit up.

The incident really scared me becasue I've never come that close to fainting from a migraine. I was glad my husband was home at the time and that it didn't happen when I was out in public.

Does anyone else pass out or come close to passing out during a migraine?

Miagraine is an autonomic dysfunction. I don't separate my migraines or cluster headaches from my overall condition. It's all part and parcel.

I get what could be viewed as "aura" almost every day. Since being on all of my meds, they rarely develop into full blown headaches. I have so much pre-syncope on a daily basis that I usually just consider such auras as a part of it.

Guest elyag
Miagraine is an autonomic dysfunction. I don't separate my migraines or cluster headaches from my overall condition. It's all part and parcel.

I get what could be viewed as "aura" almost every day. Since being on all of my meds, they rarely develop into full blown headaches. I have so much pre-syncope on a daily basis that I usually just consider such auras as a part of it.

I'v had migraines for over 25 years so I don't know how much mine are tied into autonomic dysafunction. Although who knows.....maybe they are.

The only difference between the one last night and ones in the past was the near passing out.

I had the migraines before a lot of the other stuff set in, too. However, I've come to view that as just the first manifestation.

According to this study, http://neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/58/3/422 , and others like it, migraine is a temporary state of autonomic dysfunction. Some of us just seem to have evolved into more permanent, ongoing states.

What does all of this mean? We don't know. Such a mixture of breakdowns has probably led each and everyone of us to where we're at today.

Anything that alters blood flow can cause us to have syncope/near syncope. And what, after all, is a migraine? Whatever the mechanism, in the end, they are brought about by a constricting of blood vessels in the head (aura) and then the dilation swelling that occurs as the response (headache). Throwing out all of the terminology and speculation as to causes, it's not surprising that we tend to have migraine...after all, our vasculature not behaving properly is the cause of most of our symptoms. Not surprising that we, of all people, could feel faint as such occurrences.

My migraines started with some meds I took, after I got sick. They aren't as bad as when I was on the meds, but they are still a regular part of my life. I noticed the other day though, that I seem to get them with cloudy and overcast days real bad. We have had nothing but cloudy, and overcast days here, and sure enough I've had migraines. My vomitting may be related to my migraines. And I also get the aura, and other really nasty visual effects to go with it. I have even had complete loss of vision from them, and that was terrifiying. Do you notice weather your migraines are worse in certain weather conditions? I found a website on migraines that talk about weather migraines. And yes, for me usually before I faint I do get migraine feeling. But I don't feel that it is the migraine making me faint, but rather that the migraine is a warning that I may faint. Sorry you are feeling bad, and I hope your migraines ease up for you soon.

Suzy

Weather related? God, yes. In fact, it's something of a joke around my house. Frequently, I'll wake up in the morning, and based on which particular symptoms I'm having, with the ability to predict the weather for the day. I can sense a storm or other big weather change hours before it's apparent. Sometimes even the day before. All about barometric pressure.

Humidity is a big deal, too. The more humid the weather, the worse I am. Ofcourse, I don't like really bright, bright, sunny days, either. In fact, there's maybe three days out of the year that the weather suits me!

http://www.migraineinformation.org/migrain...r-headaches.htm

You might be interested in this then. I have been cussing the clouds, and keeping my sunglasses on even in the house lately. And I am wondering if this is why I vomitt. I was told there may be a relationship with my migraines, and my vomitting. sooooo...anyways. I hope this helps.

Suzy

Guest elyag
I had the migraines before a lot of the other stuff set in, too. However, I've come to view that as just the first manifestation.

According to this study, http://neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/58/3/422 , and others like it, migraine is a temporary state of autonomic dysfunction. Some of us just seem to have evolved into more permanent, ongoing states.

What does all of this mean? We don't know. Such a mixture of breakdowns has probably led each and everyone of us to where we're at today.

Anything that alters blood flow can cause us to have syncope/near syncope. And what, after all, is a migraine? Whatever the mechanism, in the end, they are brought about by a constricting of blood vessels in the head (aura) and then the dilation swelling that occurs as the response (headache). Throwing out all of the terminology and speculation as to causes, it's not surprising that we tend to have migraine...after all, our vasculature not behaving properly is the cause of most of our symptoms. Not surprising that we, of all people, could feel faint as such occurrences.

Thanks for the link. <_<

I just realized that at the time of the migraine I had a heating wrap on my neck. I'm now wondering if the heat on my neck caused dilation which might have contributed the pre syncope. I don't know if it caused the migraine but it might have brought on the feeling of near syncope. The migraine and the heat on my neck were probably a bad combo.

Guest elyag
My migraines started with some meds I took, after I got sick. They aren't as bad as when I was on the meds, but they are still a regular part of my life. I noticed the other day though, that I seem to get them with cloudy and overcast days real bad. We have had nothing but cloudy, and overcast days here, and sure enough I've had migraines. My vomitting may be related to my migraines. And I also get the aura, and other really nasty visual effects to go with it. I have even had complete loss of vision from them, and that was terrifiying. Do you notice weather your migraines are worse in certain weather conditions? I found a website on migraines that talk about weather migraines. And yes, for me usually before I faint I do get migraine feeling. But I don't feel that it is the migraine making me faint, but rather that the migraine is a warning that I may faint. Sorry you are feeling bad, and I hope your migraines ease up for you soon.

Suzy

We've been having overcast and rainy weather, lots of pre summer storms but I'm not sure if the weather had anything to do with it. I'm sorry you also get the aura and loss of vision. I sometimes think that part of it is worse that the headache.

Guest elyag
http://www.migraineinformation.org/migrain...r-headaches.htm

You might be interested in this then. I have been cussing the clouds, and keeping my sunglasses on even in the house lately. And I am wondering if this is why I vomitt. I was told there may be a relationship with my migraines, and my vomitting. sooooo...anyways. I hope this helps.

Suzy

Thanks for the link. <_<

Guest elyag
Hi,

Sounds like you are on to something with noticing that you were wearing the heat wrap at the time. I have a feeling that was likely what caused the pre-syncope symptoms. It probably send the autonomic dysfunction of the migraine and sent it into a tailspin.

Thanks....it's a shame because those heat wraps really help a sore neck. I guess I can't use them anymore.

Hi again!

I also have gotten a tailspin affect from hot packs to the abdomen. I guess to to the vasodilation of that area where the heat is, and the following shunting of blood to that area. I wouldn't necessarily stop using the hot packs, but maybe leave them on for short periods etc? If you have stiff neck muscles that is apt to cause migraines, and so to stop treating that is not necessarily going to help anything. That also makes me wonder about if you had tight neck muscles and they were restricting blood flow etc. and then the heat is used it probably could send a "whoosh" of blood to the brain and back to the heart that could start a significant ANS reaction. So, also may help to try to keep your neck from getting too tight. Also, you could possibly think about replacing some of the time you would use heat with massage of the neck. Or try to massage first and then use the heat for short periods? Not sure...

<_<

Guest elyag
Hi again!

I also have gotten a tailspin affect from hot packs to the abdomen. I guess to to the vasodilation of that area where the heat is, and the following shunting of blood to that area. I wouldn't necessarily stop using the hot packs, but maybe leave them on for short periods etc? If you have stiff neck muscles that is apt to cause migraines, and so to stop treating that is not necessarily going to help anything. That also makes me wonder about if you had tight neck muscles and they were restricting blood flow etc. and then the heat is used it probably could send a "whoosh" of blood to the brain and back to the heart that could start a significant ANS reaction. So, also may help to try to keep your neck from getting too tight. Also, you could possibly think about replacing some of the time you would use heat with massage of the neck. Or try to massage first and then use the heat for short periods? Not sure...

:)

Yeah...I sometimes have that problem with heat packs on my abdomen. Doesn't happen too often but I need to be careful.

Re: my neck....I think I'm going to try putting the heat on my shoulders because the problem is with my trapezoids and the pain radiates to my neck. I'm hoping there's less of a chance of causing vasodilation if the heat is on the shoulders.

Last summer I used those cool wraps on my neck and found they really helped on hot days. Now I'm wondering if those wraps can also cause migraines because of constriction of vessels in the neck?

I suffer from occasional 'refractory' migraines - where the aura is a hellish nightmare and is often worse than the actual pain afterwards (which im almost pleased to start feeling to know that the aura is finished).

I also experience on and off now, but for a few years constantly, a persisent ocular migraine aura that would not go away. Visual snow, tunnelling, blackening etc. Very weird. My doc said not to worry about it but a few years later i developed POTS.

I get these in hot weather and from random weather changes or stress. During the aura I get the worst POTS on the planet, half my face goes numb, my face looks blue, my vision is covered with stars and zig zags

Migraines are definately tied to POTS in general. But not all POTS patients get migraines, but those that do tend to get shockers. One doctor I spoke to said that the onset of migraines and POTS seems to be around the same time in families but ive never read this anywhere.

its common for POTS patients to have been diagnosed with things like Basiliar Migraines and other refractory types.

As for the mechanisms? Well autonomic dysfunction, abnormal endothelial nitric oxide, calcitonin gene related peptide and serotonin have all been implicated in migraine - as have they in POTS and Neurally mediated hypotension.

The cause of migraines - like the cause of POTS is still being actively investigated but for me anyway there seems to be a connection.

In this study migraine patients also exhibited POTS or syncope but only during migraine periods and not generally = now that seems to indicate a pretty strong connection:

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:3udZz...=clnk&gl=au

actually im not sure that is the right study but i havent got time to read it properly. If its wrong ill find the right one...

Calcitonin gene related peptide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcitonin_gene_related_peptide

Preclinical evidence suggests that during a migraine, activated primary sensory neurons (meningeal nociceptors)in the trigeminal ganglion release CGRP from their peripherally projecting nerve endings located within the meninges [17]. This CGRP then binds to and activates CGRP receptors located around meningeal vessels causing vasodilation, mast cell degranulation and plasma extravasation. [5] [17][18][19]. Human observations have further implicated the role of CGRP in the pathophysiology of migraine. Activation of primary sensory neurons in the trigeminal vascular system in humans can cause the release of CGRP. During some migraine attacks increased concentrations of CGRP can be found in both saliva and plasma drawn from the external jugular vein[5] [17][18][19]. Furthermore intravenous administration of alpha-CGRP is able to induce headache in individuals susceptible to migraine[20].

CGRP is a potent vasodilator.

I also get frequent migraines, but not always with aura. I certainly can't stand light, noise, or too many people around me. Sometimes I will pass out, sometimes not. I think it's all related to the amount of blood flow, like others have stated on this post. It does all make sense, but it's still scary. I hope you're feeling better about things now.

ps...just a gentle reminder, there's no need, and forum moderators generally ask participants to not quote everyone you respond to...

Wishing you well,

Jana

Guest elyag

LOL...thanks for the reminder Potsgirl...I'm not active on here as I used to be and feel bad if I don't respond to everyone. :blink:

Ramakentesh..thanks for the link. Yes...the aura is the worst part of it. I've had them for years and for some reason they (aura) bother me more now than they used to.. Or rather they make me more sick now.

I've noticed that for a short while before I get really big setbacks in symptoms of any type, I'll have had at least a few days, or possibly a few weeks, of feeling better overall than I've felt for awhile. I've never known what to make of that although I tend to think when I'm feeling halfway human I tend to try to act like a normal human being and the setback comes from that. This includes all the migraine and cluster headache episodes and symptoms.

Migraine was my first extremely noticeable symptom along with cluster headache episodes. Ofcourse, I had had other symptoms of POTS/NCS/autonomic dysfunction my entire life, I just didn't realize it. I thought everyone had dizzy spells, "grey outs" and black outs on a regular basis. After all, my dad and grandmother did! Almost all of my kids experience migraine. One of my daughters is very frightened right now as her migraines seem to be coming more and more often. She gets very classical aura preceding them. She's about the same age I was when I first started getting them.

Guest elyag

Ramanketesh... I don't have POTS although I do have dysautonomia. Anyhow....strangely enough I was having a few really good days before the migraine. Maybe that's why it caught me so off guard. Plus I haven't had one in a long time. I definitely felt crappy the next day... headachy, spacey and kind out of it.

It's weird but when I used to get migraines before I had dysautonomia, the auras never bothered me. I often would get one in the middle of a meeting at work and it was no big deal. Although the aura is the same as it was ....I get so much more symptomatic now. Back then I never felt sick, lightheaded or close to fainting when I got an aura.

Guest elyag

Bjt22... I'm sorry your kids also get migraines. Definitely sounds like there's a strong family link with you. As far as I know, I'm the only one in my family who gets them.

I've had episodes of faintiing since childhood but was otherwise very healthy and felt great. My dysautonomia came out in full force after I had brain surgery in 1995 to move a benign tumor. I first started having migraines in 1987 that were triggred by the pill. It wasn't until after the brain surgery when I started to get migraines for other reasons .

Guest elyag

When I went to Mayo in 2003, Dr Low diagnosed me with dysautonomia but said I didn't have POTS. The report said unstable ANS, OI and vasovagal syncope.

I'm kind of a weird case because most my problems started after I had my brain surgery. I have a lot of the symptoms of POTS except my HR doesn't go as high a those of you with it. Although both my BP and HR are very erratic.