Mestinon help anyone?

Radha

I just started taking Mestinon, but I am starting a very low dose to make sure that I don't have a reaction to it. So far I haven't noticed a difference, but I will let you know if it helps. I am hoping that once I am on the full dosage that it will help! Sorry I couldn't help more.

Jaime

i'm taking digoxin and toprol, cortef for adrenal problems, not enough cortef i think, and lots of pain meds and want to try enbrel for psoriatic arthritis, but have weak immune system, lots of infections, and cant get my doc to prescribe it, lots of things i want to try but doc doesnt respond and i'm bedridden and cant travel, anyway, if anyone feels better with mestinon or anything else, i'd love to know, thanks

radha

Rhada, you can't take Enbrel if you have a compromised immune system--it's would place you at higher risk of a more serious infection--especially as you mentioned in another post that you already have chronic sinus issues.

From: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/etanercept_ad.htm

"Upper respiratory infections ("colds") and sinusitis were the most frequently reported infections in patients receiving ENBREL or placebo. In placebo-controlled trials, the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections was 16% in the placebo treatment group and 29% in the group treated with ENBREL; and 0.68 events per patient year in the placebo group and 0.82 events per patient year in the group treated with ENBREL when the longer observation of patients on ENBREL was accounted for.

In placebo-controlled trials evaluating ENBREL, no increase in the incidence of serious infections was observed (1.3% placebo, 0.9% ENBREL). In open-label and placebo-controlled trials, 22 serious infections were observed in a total of 745 subjects exposed to ENBREL, including: pyelonephritis, bronchitis, septic arthritis, abdominal abscess, cellulitis, osteomyelitis, wound infection, pneumonia, foot abscess, leg ulcer, diarrhea, sinusitis, and sepsis. Data from a sepsis clinical trial not specifically in patients with RA suggest that ENBREL treatment may increase mortality in patients with established sepsis."

As for mestinon, I haven't personally tried it--however, the folks I've encountered who did try it either stopped taking it because of the side effects or stopped because it didn't help them. Sorry, wish I had something better to report in that regard. Nina

That's really awful that your doc isn't responsive, and I can totally relate. But don't give up on your dos. My docs aren't very responsive either, so I or my parents just keep calling them every, or multiple times a day, until they respond to whatever I need. At the very least, they should be able to advise you over the phone about whether to up your dose of cortef. I need to get new Drs. one of these days. What has worked to bring up my BP in the past is florinef, but I am not sure whether that would work for you. I am still thinking about the Mestinon, which was recommended to me by Mayo. Iwill post an update when I decide.

thanks so much for all your replies, and nina the info u posted about enbrel and why midodrine didnt work for me was much appreciated, i appreciate all your responses, thanks so much for being there, its very frustrating when your doc wont get back to you even after months of calling! guess either she doesnt know or just is fed up since nothing helps me! but i cant seem to find anyone better in my area, anyway, was wondering if Dr. Grubb would do a phone consult? i hear such great things about him, i know docs dont usually prescribe without seeing patient,

radha