Just Got Compression Hoses Today And Have Some Concerns...

mae

I went and had them fit and actually walked out of the fitting room with them on. And about 5 minutes into wearing them I noticed they were SUPER tight like having tourniquet's on my whole legs and I actually felt like my circulation was totally cut off and my heart beat was SO HARD throbbing in my upper body .I excused myself to the bathroom because the extreme panic sat in and I forced them down to my ankles and finished with the appointment. Is this normal or are they TOOOOO tight? I have to call and let the fitter know before she sends out my other order if this isn't right. I wanted to ask you all because she had no clue about why we really need this of how tight it should be.

Mae

They are supposed to be tight, but you shouldn't feel like your circulation is being cut off. When I have my compression on I feel better. I can sit and stand longer, my heart doesn't beat as fast, and I don't get as faint, short of breath, and lightheaded.

The only time I have felt like my circulation was being cut off was when I wore a hose that didn't have a good fit. I have large feet (womens 12), and some compression hose are too tight around my heel/ankle area and cut off circulation. But the right size, right hose, and right compression strength should feel good. Tight, but good.

I hope you can find a good fit.

Rachel

Guest tearose

They should help circulation not hurt it.

The proper way to don these are to get them on as soon after getting up in the morning as possible. The longer you are on your feet, your legs fill with more lymph and blood.

Also, it does take time for your legs to push the excess fluids out so allow 15-20 minutes of sitting on the floor and allowing this to happen. Do gentle leg lifts or foot curls and then try standing up.

I feel so much better after about 20 minutes of having them on!

Can you take your blood pressure and heartrate? This will help you see the actual effect on your body as well.

Fitting these correctly is also important.

Tell us how you are doing.

best regard,

tearose

Guest tearose

Also,

What do you mean when you said you had to force them down to your ankles?

IF you are wearing the thigh highs and not the pantyhose, that may also be a problem for you. Some of us can only have good success with the full pantyhose. I pool in the splanchnic bed too so I must go waist high.

I have the thigh highs. I haven't tried them back on it kinda scared me because they were So tight. I don't have a B/P or heart monitor at my convenience so I don't know hows its affecting them. I guess I should call her and wait on the 2nd order .

Thanks all Mae

What type of compression do you all use ?

Hi Mae,

At the moment I wear 15-20 compression. That's not too tight at all but they help me and I don't feel squeezed to death. I'll soon try the next compression, I think it's 20-25. I've found it best to move up gradually...because of the squeezing. I can't wear the panty type because I can't even breathe with these.

We're all different so I wish you luck in finding what's best for you. Since these hose can't be returned, I'd suggest that you begin with the less tight ones. That's what my pharmacist recommended.

Also, the different brands in the same compression can feel very different. I bought some sort of gadget that will help me put on the tighter-type hose.

Mary P

Guest tearose

There are several things to measure...

The compression level I use is 30-40mm. There are a few levels lighter: 20-30mm, and I think the lightest ones are; 12-20, and 8-15. There is one stronger at 40-50mm but that is for near total lymphatic or vascular failure. Your doctor will know by your response what is best.

The other things to check are sizes around your body that the person measuring you should have done. You really can't compare to others because we are all differently sized.

hope this helps,

Oh, if it helps to have a "visual", I do sit on the floor and gently gather the stockings, pull and tug and rest gather more and pull and tug and rest and so forth until these are on. If it did not make such a big difference it would not be worth my time or energy!

best regards,

tearose

Thanks

the box says 20-30 so I guess I will get something less constrictive I know for sure they were too tight even based on your comments these definitely were not helping me. She did do the measuring correctly I just think that idiot cardio didn't really know what I needed . I may wait until I go to Cleveland and have her write me the proper prescription because I don't want to keep getting hoses for my insurance to cover I can't use these were $ 115 dollars and can't take them back and never even wore them but 5 minutes.

Mae

My doctor will only prescribe knee highs, I wear 30-40mmHg ones.

One thing that is important when you put on any compression is to make sure that the fabric is evenly stretched out over your whole leg. If it is allowed to bunch up or if the tops roll down then the compression at that area is much tighter and it does act like a tourniquet.

Maybe you could try putting them one one day whilst sitting on your bed so that you can then lay down for a while after getting them on. I was taught to turn the whole stocking inside out except for the foot part, wriggle your foot into place then slowly turn the stocking the right way out as you ease it up your leg.

Hope you manage to get some benefit from them,

Flop

I went and had them fit and actually walked out of the fitting room with them on. And about 5 minutes into wearing them I noticed they were SUPER tight like having tourniquet's on my whole legs and I actually felt like my circulation was totally cut off and my heart beat was SO HARD throbbing in my upper body .I excused myself to the bathroom because the extreme panic sat in and I forced them down to my ankles and finished with the appointment. Is this normal or are they TOOOOO tight? I have to call and let the fitter know before she sends out my other order if this isn't right. I wanted to ask you all because she had no clue about why we really need this of how tight it should be.

Mae

I have had the same experience Mae . I used to find compression hose fantastic but lately I've found that they can make me feel worse. I have bought two pairs that prompted the same reaction you've had though and it was very frightening indeed. On both occasions I think it was caused by the hose being too tight.After reading here for awhile I've noticed threads in the past where people have mentioned that they felt hose made them feel worse. Maybe they just don't suit everyone. If I was you I'd try another pair that are larger or have lower compression before I'd give up altogether on them though. Good luck with it. Don't be too scared of trying a new pair. Using lower compression or a different brand really can make a difference to that experience.