C1, C2, C3

What connection do the vertebrae C1, C2, and C3 have to POTS? I'm absolutely positive that something is going on up there, with the spinal column and with the spinal chord... It feels way out of place. It aches. When I tried to do squats in gym, when the weights apply pressure to that area, I felt like I was going to die. Literally. I was that dizzy and in pain. My entire system had a massive flare up.

So what connection is there? What can I do to fix mine? (Cranial osteopathy?) PLEASE help.

What connection do the vertebrae C1, C2, and C3 have to POTS? I'm absolutely positive that something is going on up there, with the spinal column and with the spinal chord... It feels way out of place. It aches. When I tried to do squats in gym, when the weights apply pressure to that area, I felt like I was going to die. Literally. I was that dizzy and in pain. My entire system had a massive flare up.

So what connection is there? What can I do to fix mine? (Cranial osteopathy?) PLEASE help.

Shimoda- I definately think you are on to something. My son had a subluxation of his neck prior to symptoms coming on. I've also had several severe whip lash injuries.

Please, please, please STOP doing squats with weights on your upper body. I'm a former hard core weight lifter in my 20's-30's. That particular move is so dangerous with your condition. You need to nurture your spinal column and cerebral spinal fluid flow- not compress and further damage it. You can get similiar results with repeated squats and lunges (without upper body weights), yoga warrior poses, leg extensions and curls, etc.

Hugs-

Julie

The ANS is divided into sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions. The parasympathetic division supervises the truly visceral functions, through ganglia located directly in organs such as the kidney, liver, gut, etc. Just as the central nervous system controls voluntary muscles by the release of acetylcholine, the parasympathetic nervous system releases acetylcholine into digestive secretory glands, heart muscle and smooth muscle (such as the muscles controlling the slow contractions of the intestine). Smooth muscle differs from skeletal muscle insofar as the response to stimulation can last for minutes, hours or days -- as opposed to a fraction of a second. Smooth muscles contract 100 to 1,000 times more slowly than skeletal muscles. Skeletal muscle receptors are called nicotinic because nicotine can mimic acetylcholine, whereas parasympathetic end-organs are called muscarinic because the toadstool poison muscarine (not nicotine) mimics acetylcholine. Parasympathetic nerves arise from the top and bottom of the spinal cord, as opposed to sympathetic nerves, which arise from the central portions of the spinal cord.

While the parasympatheic division of the ANS handles vegetative functions, the sympathetic division is more concerned with mobilization of body resources to handle stress. The sympathetic division most often functions by mass discharge with simultaneous effects upon the entire body, rather than by isolated target organs. The sympathetic ganglia are located close to the spine rather than in target organs. And sympathetic nerves release norepinephrine (noradrenalin) on target organs, rather than acetylcholine. The adrenal medulla (interior portion of the adrenal gland) is actually a very specialized sympathetic ganglion which releases epinephrine (adrenalin) into the blood stream. Both epinephrine and norepinephrine increase blood glucose, increase the rate&force of heart contraction and increase metabolic rate. Norepinephrine constricts all arterioles, whereas epinephrine only dilates skeletal muscle blood vessels (both effects increase blood volume in muscles). Epinephrine dilates the bronchi of the lungs. ---- Chapter 7 -- Brain Areas Supporting Cerebral Cortex Function by Ben Best

If you look at a diagram of the nervous system and specifically the Autonomic part, you will see that the parts that control the ANS are almost all at the base of the brain and in the cervical spine. It is also the direct route of blood to the brain. I have constant subluxation of C1 and C2 with a disc bulge between C3 and C4 (according to my x-rays and MRIs.) Take the general "doctor's advice:" IF IT HURTS DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

I"m STILL waiting for results of an upright mri of my head and neck--but , that's an aside. Any chance you have a connective tissue disorder, like eds? If/when I get the results, the doc is looking for different types of brainstem compression--from cervical cranial instability, chiari, or tethered cord. If you have some tissue weakness, you are more likely to have issues.

The geneticist I saw was very insistent that my mri be upright (seated), to see what gravity does to the structures in my head and neck. Be very careful before letting anyone manipulate your head/neck. I have had skilled massage people work on the area, to relax the muscles, and some pt to teach me to stabilize things. Personally, I would not feel comfortable letting someone do anything with any force up there.

I went to a chiropractor that had a special machine for adjusting just C1 and C2 in an effort to get rid of my headaches. I saw him for 8 weeks straight. He said that C1 was a 20mm higher on one side than the other and that my cranium did not sit straight on my spine, he even showed me on the x-rays. None of the adjustments ever made a difference in any of my symptoms, except occasionally it made them worse. Many people swear by it, but I am not one. No one "adjusts" my neck anymore.

My son has had tremendous success with osteopathic treatments. His practioner was trained by Dr. Robert Fulford- cited as an amazing healer in Andrew Weil's book "Spontaneous Healing." Mack's ped from Hopkins recommended this treatment.

Mack's experience was a total trip. If the OD that helped him wasn't so highly recommendd, I would have thought he was a charltan. He seemed to sleep through much of Mack's sessions

Best of luck-

Julie

I would get a GOOD chiropractor before anything else. I have a good group of docs that take care of my neck and if I could afford more than twice a month, I would. Sometimes I am so congested (blood flow that is) that as soon as I get my adjustment my back and face turn red from the blood rushing back into them. Make sure your docs have a long term treatment plan and prognosis for you and aren't looking to give you a quick fix like some--some I've had.

My neck was out of alignment for years because of whiplash when I was a teenager. A few years ago I found a very well respected and recommended chiropractor who adjusted my neck. It was nice to have it back in place, but it hasn't helped my symptoms at all.

Rachel

Can I ask how it came about that you had this MRI done? I have a lot of pain at the base of my skull, lots of headaches. I would love to get that looked at....Thanks

Jana