Pesticides & Herbicides

gertie

We use very few chemicals in our home for a variety of reasons. My teens have the have the hardest time with our fragrance free policy since they all like the perfume lotions, spritzes, hair stuff and scented deodorants. In some cases they put it in their backpacks and use them at school or whenever they are out of the house.

So what do we do?

Fleas?

We took out all of the carpet in our house and replaced it with laminate over the course of several years as we could afford it. We also have hairless dogs and a hairless cat. No place for the fleas to hang on! And we've not had a problem since.

Ants?

These are always a challenge when it rains or the weather is hot. I'm pretty sure our house is built ontop of an ant metropolitan city! We try and use natural deterants like peppermint mint oil or corn starch. Sometimes ant baits if we must and only as a last resort would we we spray an over the counter chemical.

Spiders and Snakes?

As for other creepy crawlies, we tend to pick them up (paper and inverted cup) and place them in the out-of-door-relocation-program. Accept once we did call the rescue squad to remove a rattle snake from our back patio!

Weeds?

We don't use pesticides or chemical based herbicides in our back yard. For weeds we spray vinegar, it will kill the plant in a matter of days. If you pour vinegar between cracks in cement or pavers it can keep weeds at bay for quite some time.

I hear Muphy's Oil soap is a good spray for outdoor plants. Frankly we don't have very green thumbs and tend to plant for the bunnies and bugs to enjoy! http://www.coolkarma.com/dharma/?p=239

In general I am less senitive to what exterminators spray outside than inside my home. If I had to use professional help I would probably start there.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

How many of you use an exterminator (or do it yourself) spray for bugs, fleas, termites etc on a regular basis? I'm curious since that is the toxin that started most of my problems. Just wondering if anyone else is sensitive to it. Thanks.

Without substantiating evidence, I suspect that my one-year exterminator service contract, and his use of pesticides, did NOT help my health. I would be extra cautious. That's my opinion.

lemon slices cut up around the house or in cupboard work for the ants.

mint oil works for mice and anica flowers from the garden I cut and lay in drawers. The dry there and I leave them where the mice have been known to go in the past.

My dog I go with the natural flea and tick combo and he smells like a Christmas tree. I Love the way he smells and I buy it at the end of the season Target cheap. I barely ever see a tick on him.

Vineger and water spray is suppose to be good to spray on your dog also to keep to fleas and ticks off.

I have a hypoallergenic dog. Helps me., as far as allergies go.

Thanks everyone. I haven't used pesticides in 25 years, since I became ill. I won't use it outside because of the birds & other wildlife. We also have an organic vegetable garden. I do wish I knew something that would keep the Copperhead & other snakes away. I am terrified of them.