Beta Blockers - How Low Is Too Low For The Hr?

I'm getting used to my Beta Block (the generic version of Inderal - Propranolol). Right now I take it in the morning before I get up (20mg) and then after lunch (20mg). If needed my EP says I can work up to 60mg a day and take on in the evening.

Today I am wearing my monitor and my rate is in the 60s (63-67 on average) this afternoon. Compared to 75-110 I used to get sitting, this is really down. Walking around it's in the 80s! I'm used to it being 110-140 walking!

I just wonder how low is 'too low' (I'm feeling ok) and what kind of variations you guys get with your BB.

I know as it wears off later in the day, walking around it gets back to 90-110 or so, but that's a heck of a lot better than 120-140 which was more of my old

average.

Thanks for any input. I'm still working on getting the dose down (and my doctor said at these low doses he's comfortable with me adjusting a bit to get the right mix and understands how hard it is).

I guess I'm not used to my heart being in the 60s. :/ Seems so LOW.

A sitting 60's is NORMAL! Feels weird doesn't it? Almost too calm. Bradycardia is anything below 60, but is normal if you are on a BB and supine. I'd be concerned with a HR lower than 50 while on the BB. I'm off mine for the day (allergy shots) and feel awful! My HR is hovering around 100 all the time and it is just hard to do anything without feeling like my heart is beating out of my chest. Tomorrow morning will really be bad, until the BB kicks in (I can take it tomorrow.) These little breaks from the BB make me remember what it was like before meds and how lousy I felt all the time!

HR in the 60s whilst resting / sitting is in the normal range for a healthy adult. Symptoms that would suggest thatyour HR is too low would be dizziness, feeling faint or greying of vision. If you feel well with your HR in the 60s then it sounds like it is fine for you.

The medical definition of bradycardia (slow HR) is less than 60/min. Most people don't develop symptoms until their HR is below 50/min.

Flop

A sitting 60's is NORMAL! Feels weird doesn't it? Almost too calm. Bradycardia is anything below 60, but is normal if you are on a BB and supine. I'd be concerned with a HR lower than 50 while on the BB. I'm off mine for the day (allergy shots) and feel awful! My HR is hovering around 100 all the time and it is just hard to do anything without feeling like my heart is beating out of my chest. Tomorrow morning will really be bad, until the BB kicks in (I can take it tomorrow.) These little breaks from the BB make me remember what it was like before meds and how lousy I felt all the time!

I've forgotten normal! I've been somewhat 'anxious' today (ie: panicky) because it's so LOW it feels WEIRD. It's hard to believe I'm feeling quite a bit better on this one little pill twice a day. It's nice when you find something that actually works ok.

Thank you for replying back. I'm feeling better now. It's sad what we all have to get used to!

I never knew normal, imagine that! I think Beta Blockers are wonder drugs: saved my career from "the tremor" and allows me to stand up without my heart going bonkers! I am glad they are working for you. It makes you want to kiss your doc doesn't it? Well, maybe not. :(

Since I'm moving out of state, and he's got me to the point where I don't feel like hiding under the bed the entire day, he did get a moderate friendly hug. LOL

But I'm kinda like that.

They 'think' I have post-viral POTS so I was always hesitant to try a BB. But once my asthma test came back clear (no symptoms in years really, thank goodness) I decided to give it a whirl.

Still we are on such tiny doses, Firewatcher! 320mg isn't unheard of so I'm amazed what 40mg can do for me!

Hi Cat Lady,

For beta blockers, the goal is to have resting heart rate between 50 and 60. As long as your heart rate is above 50 while resting and you are not having symptoms of light-headedness, dizziness, headache, etc. (I know, hard to distinguish from dysautonomia!) then I think you should be ok.

~ Broken_Shell :(

Your heart rate can be pretty low and as long as you aren't symptomatic, it's ok. It should be above 50 though. Many atheletes rates run in the low 50's because of conditioning. If your body is used to running a certain way, a big change can feel weird. For instance, many people with diabetes actually feel worse when their blood sugars are at the normal range, because their body has adjusted to it being too high. Then they start feeling much better.

If your body has learned to compensate for the higher rates, you may feel a bit funny while it adjusts to the lower rate, but you will adapt quickly. I used to always check my pulse before I took a dose, but betas have a pretty short half life, as a rule, so stopped after it was ok for a few days. if i stop them for 2 days, I shoot right back up and remember how miserable I actually was when my rate was too high. I take atenolol 25 mg three times a day. morgan

Your heart rate can be pretty low and as long as you aren't symptomatic, it's ok. It should be above 50 though. Many atheletes rates run in the low 50's because of conditioning. If your body is used to running a certain way, a big change can feel weird. For instance, many people with diabetes actually feel worse when their blood sugars are at the normal range, because their body has adjusted to it being too high. Then they start feeling much better.

If your body has learned to compensate for the higher rates, you may feel a bit funny while it adjusts to the lower rate, but you will adapt quickly. I used to always check my pulse before I took a dose, but betas have a pretty short half life, as a rule, so stopped after it was ok for a few days. if i stop them for 2 days, I shoot right back up and remember how miserable I actually was when my rate was too high. I take atenolol 25 mg three times a day. morgan

I never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. I'm so excited I'm feeling better I don't want to jinx myself. <_<

Before BB I was more miserable than I even thought!

One of my docs explained my night-time bradycardia in much the same way. He said: "you heart is at jogging speed for most of the day, so it is actually in good shape. So it makes sense that your resting HR at night is so slow." BUT, because it IS so slow at night unmedicated (40s-50s), NOBODY wants me to take the BB at night, for fear that it would go lower. I am soooooo glad you feel better!

Jennifer