How Do You Get Your Sodium?

twinmom

Hi! I have trouble with this too. I was not able to tolerate salt tablets. I add salt to my V-8 juice. A quarter of a teaspoon of table salt adds about 500 mg of sodium. I've gotten to really like it this way and it actually tastes pretty bland now without it. Hope this helps!

Summer

Yes, tomato juice/V8 is super high in sodium, but I can't stand the taste :o ! More power to those who like it!

I get 20oz bottles of G2 (I know the artificial sweetners are bad for us, but I don't like how all the sugar makes me feel in regular Gatorade). It has 270mg of sodium and I get a 24-pack at Costco for about $15. First I added just 1/4 a tsp of salt, but like Summer now I'm used to the salty taste and add 1/2 a tsp. Other tricks: soup/broth (one serving can have up to 1000mg!) and you can even use those chicken bouillon cubes, cheddar rice cakes (called Quakes, they're low calorie), beef/turkey jerkey, pickles, and just salting everything else you eat! I have digestion problems, too, but I can usually drink without problems. I even keep a salted bottle of G2 in my car trunk for emergencies. I'm also slightly plumper since POTS, so I try to avoid the yummiest salty foods like chips and fries.

twinmom,

Thankfully I love salt, so I salt all of my food as much as possible. Rold-Gold pretzels have a ton of salt (my doc told me to eat a handful before getting out of bed), as do broths (chicken,beef) and many soups. We're supposed to be eating something like ten times the normal amount of sodium in our diet. The daily amount of sodium for the general population is 2,400 mg or less. I was told to try for 5-7 GRAMS a day. Also, I try to take the buffered salt tablets. Yikes!

Cheers,

potsgirl