Has Anyone Had A Gastroscopy Without Sedation?

ana_22

im having a gastroscopy done tomorrow. ive been reading through the brochure and it says you can have it without sedation, so they will only use a local anesthetic on the throat.

has anyone done this?

is it uncomfortable? how long does the procedure take?

i can discuss all this with the dr giving the sedation tomorrow but i want to have some idea of what i would prefer.

i really dont want to be fully sedated as i know it can cause problems for ppl with POTS and CFS. but i dont want to not be sedated and then freak out when the camera is down my throat. what would they do if i did feel uncomfortable? and would i feel them taking the samples of my stomach?

thanks!

Hi Ana,

I had an upper endoscopy last week with sedation. I was VERY afraid that the sedation would cause problems with my dysautonomia, but it went ok. The only problem that I had was that it took longer than expected for me to wake up and be able to sit and stand after the procedure. The nurses and doctor were very nice and I stayed in the hospital for several hours longer than expected until I felt stable enough to sit up and make it to the car in a wheel chair. Good luck making your decision.

~ Broken_Shell :)

hmmm thanks for the reply!

i had this proceedure done with a colonoscopy a year ago when i would say i was slightly worse and the sedation was ok.....but then i was pretty sick so i wouldnt have known if the sedation had made things worse....plus it was early days only a few weeks with POTS so i didnt even know what was happening to my body!

i think the sedation they give you does not put you fully out it just makes you not remember what has happened. is this type of sedation bad for pots?

would it be the same sedation they give you when putting you out for wisdom teeth removal?

looks like ill be having a long chat with them tomorrow.

im having a gastroscopy done tomorrow. ive been reading through the brochure and it says you can have it without sedation, so they will only use a local anesthetic on the throat.

has anyone done this?

is it uncomfortable? how long does the procedure take?

i can discuss all this with the dr giving the sedation tomorrow but i want to have some idea of what i would prefer.

i really dont want to be fully sedated as i know it can cause problems for ppl with POTS and CFS. but i dont want to not be sedated and then freak out when the camera is down my throat. what would they do if i did feel uncomfortable? and would i feel them taking the samples of my stomach?

thanks!

My opinion is do not do it without sedation. I did once. Never again.

Hi ana,

I had it done (or at least attempted to) without sedation about a month and a half ago. I have multiple problems with medications, and REALLY wanted this to work. Well they never got it past my throat. It was a nightmare of a story. That being said though I have heard of a lot of people who do it and are just fine. I know that if you agree in the begining, (at least this was my case) they can give you the sedation if there are any problems along the way. So if you wanted to you could try without it, and if it didn't work just opt for it. Good luck. Not an easy decision for anyone. :)

Suzy

thanks for your thoughts and comment...im going to speak to the drs before the procedure, i think ill tell them i want to try without sedation but then i i need it to have it.

i just wonder how long it will be.....i dont want to be awake for an hour or even half an hour with a camera down my throat.......15 minutes may be do-able!

thanks...i will let you know how i go! xxx

Hi,

My doctor said it would only be down there for about 5 minutes, if that helps. Good luck!

Suzy

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you!!! But please tell me how did you get past the first part???

Congratulations

Suzy