Blood Pressure

I borrowed my mom's wrist blood pressure monitor to start keeping track of my BP when I'm not feeling well.

My question is: When should I take it? How often? How (sitting, standing, etc)?

And how do I know what is too low? Today, I took it standing up when I wasn't feeling well, and it was 97/63 (BPM 80).

Is there a website or publication that explains any of this, or even a previous thread (I'm new to this site, and to POTS in general)?

All I could find on the web about BP dealt with HIGH BP.

Thanks in advance, Erin

Welcome, what I would do this I would take your mom's blood pressure cuff to the doctor and have a calibrated just to make sure it's accurate. Then I would ask him what range he would like you to be at and what is safe for you. For example, my doctor would tell me anything under a hundred is too low for me. then your doc has to figure all your meds, some make your BP go up and others down. It's a science, so what's good for me may not be right for you, although there are basic guide lines. But one reading alone, doesn't mean anything. There are charts on line for your BP.

Your blood pressure can change from minute to minute. Your doctor will need multiple readings for several days or weeks to find out your body's patten. Then if he's concerned after that he'll do a 24 hour BP Monitor that is automatic and will give him or her more information.

The other thing I would suggest is investing in a meter of your own, Omron is a very reliable brand and one model even comes with software to print out the readings for the doctor and can be used by two people. Sure makes life a whole lot easier than writing things down. Especially when your blood pressure is very low. I used to write some pretty strange things down. In fact, sometimes you couldn't even read what I wrote. I found mine on AMAZON.COM and my doc had recommended it. I do think they need an industrial strength one for those of us here, but it has a warranty. Was worth every penny I spent.

Good luck

Hey BelieverEM,

Everything that BellaMia said is great advice. If you're sure your mom's BP cuff is accurate, trying taking all of those measurements when you've been lying down resting for about 5 minutes, and then when you stand at 1 and 3 minute intervals. As BellaMia said, we're all different, and for me, I would be very happy to have your numbers when I stand up! Tilt table testing is the ultimate determiner (usually) for a POTS diagnosis...Hope this helps!

peace,

potsgirl

Erin, depending on the type of POTS you might have, that wrist cuff may not work for you. I have Hyperadrenergic POTS and most people can not find a wrist pulse when I stand, even Vanderbilt university's ANS Center had a hard time with their wrist BP cuff on me. Many times, it would not read at all. I agree with those ahead of me when they advise you to get your own cuff (upper arm, always level with the heart!) I can't tell you how many people, even nurses, put the cuff in the wrong place! It actually matters!

Welcome to our disordered universe! :rolleyes:

As far as your searching, look HERE, not the rest of the web. Put Blood Pressure in the search box (top right) and you'll have days worth of reading!

Firewatcher~

You're absolutely right about the blood pressure cuff for the wrist - I also can't use one. I bought a decent one that goes around my upper arm, just like at the doctor's office, but with a digital display of BP and heart rate. Thanks for remembering that great advice!

potsgirl