Wearable Blood Pressure Sensor

UtahApoc

Ok You might have wanted to add in your title this is FIVE years away from commercial use and not even in clinical trials yet.

I know a woman who's son wore a BP device 10 years ago for a couple of days. The kind that self inflates every 15 minutes. How the HECK would you SLEEP with such a contraption? I can't sleep unless it's quiet and getting to sleep is a trick.

But again it's 5 years down the road.

Ok You might have wanted to add in your title this is FIVE years away from commercial use and not even in clinical trials yet.

I know a woman who's son wore a BP device 10 years ago for a couple of days. The kind that self inflates every 15 minutes. How the HECK would you SLEEP with such a contraption? I can't sleep unless it's quiet and getting to sleep is a trick.

But again it's 5 years down the road.

That is the exact reason why I posted this. Reading the entire article the unit uses a different method to get the BP. It will not have inflate and will be just like a pulse monitor. Yes, it is 5 years away but it is an advancement that could be very useful for those of us facing BP problems.

As I've mentioned before ... the landscape of pulse meters (and BP devices) IS going to change in the next few months/years.

The little device I wear on my wrist, that I adapted from the Prevention Finger Heart Rate Monitor, uses a beam of light to provide continuios display of HR without a belt. I love it.

But really ... think about it ... what real "help" do these provide?

Don't get me wrong ... I use mine all the time to help me guage activity. But fact is, I usually KNOW without looking that my pulse is outrageous. The devices can be validating and that's nice to know. But they don't treat the underlying cause or provide a plan for rehab in and of themselves.

I'm just saying ... I'm a high-tech geek and I love these gadgets ... but our own body wisdom and insight is probably just as good in terms of 24/7 witnessing presense.

~EM

read the article and saw the pic. I know it's tiny..but for those bedbound or semi bound, not much help TODAY and I tend to live in the moment.

On the other hand, Earthmother you make a valid point, too. What will this do for us? No plan of fixing issues we know we have.

AND some of us feel horrible and the BP reading of the moment will not match the symptoms.

It's the FLUCTUATION of things and the different spilling of chemicals (Catecholamines) into our system with adrenalin surges that is the problem.

AND Gravity. :lol:

I also like a gizmo as much as the next person but what can it do to change my life.

But agree, these things can be validating. But so can supine, sitting and standing BP and HR for those of us with florid POTS.

:P

I think the important thing to do is stay positive, even when stuff like this comes up and doesn't look very promising for a cure/or is a long way off. Even if we wonder if it will actually do anything for our health, we can be positive in the thinking that maybe somehow a better monitoring system can lead to better medical help in the future. That's tough though cuz i'm livin in the moment myself! :P:lol:

I'm waiting for an affordable monitor that when it reads low BP/narrow BP/Tachycardia too high, it INFLATES from the waist down with some attachable air pressure pants, for dealing with gravity issues! B)

I don't think that's happening anytime soon but the pants ARE available for research. I know one person that felt normal wearing those for the first time EVER. Can't remember if that was at Vandy or what. But that was 10 years ago. And they might be affordable current for Bill Gates $$$ but not us normal folks.

So at my age amd 19 years of this, you tend to be more impatient.

:lol::P