Cooling Vest

Does anyone use a cooling vest? It sounds like something I'd like to try, but I don't know which kind to get. It's a big investment (up to $200), and want to get the right one. I'm open to any/all advice!

- Is the "phase change" technology as good as it claims to be?

- What kind of VEST would fit a woman the best?

- Is there a company/ web site that is better than others?

Thanks in advance!

Erin

I use the coolsport vest, and yes, the inserts are worth the investment from my perspective. I get about 2 hours of cooling from a set of frozen packs...I have two sets of packs so I have 4 hours total to keep cool.

Nina

I have a cooling vest from Cool Sport, and I love it. It helps so much in the summer. I usually can't be outside if the temperature is above 73 degrees. With a cooling vest, though, I can tolerate an outside temperature of up to 78 if I'm in the shade (and depending on how good of a day I'm having). When it is warmer than 77 or 78, then I must stay in air conditioning. However, it is impossible to not leave the house sometimes in the summer (doctors appiontments, etc). On those very warm days when I need to go out, the vest makes it more bearable for the quick trip from the door to the car.

I have the classic cool vest, and it holds two cool packs in the front, and two cool packs in the back. Each cool pack is about 5 inches by 12 inches, so the four packs together cover a good portion of my core. Now that I'm living in the south, my cooling vest is an indespensible accessory!

Stace, it is somewhat bulky. The cool pack is almost an inch thick, and then you have to add the thickness of the fabric. It's not the most fashionable clothing item, but it works. Before I had my vest, going to the doctor on a hot summer day was brutal. Just riding in my wheelchair to and from the car/doctors office completely wiped me out because of the heat. The vest is bulky, but has been so very worth it for me.

Here is a link to a previous topic. There is a picture of me wearing the cooling vest. That will give you an idea of what it looks like on someone (and the fun that I've been able to have simply because of the extra help that the vest gives me!). http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10816

Rachel

Hi everyone,

I did try one, from coolvest.com (they even gave me 20% off! Email me if you want the discount code, which they said is fine to share). It has 4 panels of 4 sections each, but it wouldn't fit right. I could get it to fit snugly around my stomach, using the straps, but then (starting from under my chest and going diagonally upward), it would stick out at a sharp angle. Thank you very much for replying, though, for sharing your experience, and for the link. If anyone has advice/ tips about one with a better fit, please let me know!!!

Erin