Heart Arrythmias

gertie

I've had this for many years which is probably part of Dys. I've noticed that after I lay down to relax at night that my heart is very irregular, feels like a fish flopping in my chest. After a few min it seems to calm down. Do any of you experience this? What causes this? My cardiologist has never thought my arrythmia was anything to worry about but this feels strange. After years of weird symptoms I don't get excited about much. Members of my family have spent days in the hospital with issues I've learned to ignore. Thanks for your support.

Hi Alicia,

I can so relate. That's a perfect analogy. A fish flopping around in your chest. I hate it. Sometimes, I notice it more if I'm on my right side or if I lay down after eating. Flip/flop. Drives me nuts. Just chalk it up to part of the condition as long as you've had everything checked out!

Rene

Hi Alicia,

I know. it's all so scary at times. And no one understands. So glad for these message boards. People who are just like us. We don't have to hide, we're free to be ourselves.

Be well!

Rene

YES. In fact, I would say the flopping-heart sensation bothers me more than the tachycardia does. It's especially bad when I lay down -- it helps a little if I lie propped with my head up, but it still happens pretty much every time I lay down.

I've had lots of monitor type things for this and my cardio assures me it's fine. Also, I've had this symptom for over five years now and nothing bad has happened to me yet, so that's reassuring as well.

I did find my beta blocker helped this symptoms a LOT. I take metoprolol ER.

If your doc has checked this out and says not to worry, I think in this case you really can not worry. :rolleyes:

What you describe sounds like PVCs and PACs. Most of us get these from time to time. Although uncomfortable, they are benign. I've had a holter monitor in the past that recorded a lot of these. It was helpful for the cardiologist to know that what I was feeling was nothing to be concerned about, nothing that needed to be treated. Now I just ignore the sensation as best I can. If you haven't had a holter monitor to record the irregular heartbeats you are feeling, then it might be beneficial to have one. It would hopefully confirm that what you are feeling are PVCs and PACs like the rest of us, and it could help put your mind at ease.

PACs and PVCs

Premature atrial complexes (PACs) and premature ventricular complexes (PVCs) are abnormal electrical impulses arising either in the atria or the ventricles, respectively. These arrhythmias often produce palpitations, but in general have very little medical significance.

(From: http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmi...cardarrhy_3.htm)

Rachel

I get a lot of these-- far more than I used to. Hormonal fluctuations definitely worsen them and I'm 42, so things are getting, well, "interesting.". My cardiologist had me increase my magnesium. I now take 1200mgs a day in two doses. (don't do without medical approval--that's a high dose). I still get them, but they're a little better, and for now, I don't notice them as much. If I take my pulse though, I probably get 4-6/minute.

Guest brianala

Yup, in fact before I was diagnosed I had palpitations pretty much constantly all day long. I've had an echocardiogram and a 24 hour holter monitor test that revealed inappropriate sinus tachycardia and confirmed the palpitations. My cardiologist and electrophysiologist have both told me they aren't harmful. I was on a beta blocker for awhile but I could not tolerate it. I'm on Midodrine now and while it's not intended to treat the palpitations or arrythmia specifically, between the Midodrine and increased fluid/salt intake it does seem to have helped.

Mine are usually worse at night, especially if I am laying on my left side. And it does feel just like something flopping around in your chest, that's a great analogy.