Today's Oprah On Chronic Illness/ms

yogini

Did anyone catch today's Oprah? It has Montel Williams talking about life with MS. Even though he is talking about MS, I think what he says applies to POTS. He talks about how diffiicult his day to day life is, looking "normal", the unpredictability and how he came to terms with his diagnosis. Not particularly a fan of Montel, but I saw him on another show last Xmas and I really liked what he had to say. Now he has written a book about his experience, which I want to read.

I've been watching Oprah for as long as she's been on, and don't remember a show on chronic illness. I think it's great that she is addressing the topic. Maybe people will get a better idea of what we go through. For those of you that missed it this afternoon, Oprah re-airs in the middle of the night (at least here).

Yes, thanks for posting. I watched Oprah yesterday and was impressed by how she handled a topic that most people don't want to address. I have constant nerve pain from neuropathy, and I was really touched by how Montel talked about "living well" and happy even though he deals with so much constant pain. So many people only know what it's like to feel sick for a few days, it was nice that she focused on how he deals with his constant illness.

After thinking more and more about this, I actually wrote in to Oprah asking the producers to do a show on "chronic mysterious illnesses". I also wrote "the doctors" as well. Wonder if anyone else would be interested in sharing their story? Maybe they would do a show like that and put more education out there on POTS/NCS. Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL?? Just a thought. All you have to do is get on their website and send an e mail about your story idea. Not trying to promote these shows at all! Just trying to get the word out. :blink:

I have on tivo, so I can watch it over again a few times! I wrote Oprah once a long time ago to do a show on chronic illness. I think some others on here have too. It's great that you wrote her though. Hopefully she'll get a lot of responses from people with POTS and other illnesses and continue the topic. Now that she has Dr Oz, I think she's more into doing medical stories!

Not to be a buzzkill but oprah gets MILLIONS of letters and years ago we tried to get her to do a show on ANS stuff...nobody heard a peep.

I remember YEARS ago before all shows (including Oprahs) and the night time "news" show became so celebrity oriented and exploitive, there were two good shows about ans stuff.. one on DATELINE and they either did most of the show or ALL the show with a lady eye doctor who layed her car seat flat at long red lights and carried a yoga mat with her to lie down when she could and IN between patients.

NEVER did a follow up..>Shame. DATELINE also did a show on CFS one night..20/20 did a show about the CONTROVERSIAL chiari surgery "cure" but use Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) as "dysautonomia was not sexy enough" said a producer. Frankly I find dysautonomia a mUCH more interesting term than CFS myself.

Now those night time shows have fallen off the radar or became about perverse topics (To catch a predator was Dateline's last claim to fame"

Folks have many avenues to hear shows on topics on tv, online radio, or on terrestial radio but most either do not want to support them or only have on guests SELLING CURES at their website for FM, CFS or maybe ANS problems...sigh..if I hear one more JERK selling their cure all for big bucks for naught, I will scream

SO good luck getting Oprah's attention...you might go to her website and try to get a huge thread going on her place to get attention...I have no idea as I never watch her anymore or go to her site...except on very rare occasions.

there can be strength in numbers but to get Oprahs attention you better know somebody working for HARPO or get a HUGE petition :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine is an assistant editor at her magazine, I could ask her if she knows who we could contact at the show, or is she has an email or name.. I am not sure if she will know since the tv show is out of Chicago and the magazine is out of NYC but if you want to me find out let me know!