Pots

I know most of you with Pots have the issue with heartrate increasing upon standing. I do as well. My question is does anyone out there have a really high baseline? When I wake up in the a.m. mine is around 100, and then increases from there.My Dr. said I just have a really high baseline rate, and nothings really been done to address it. Do people just live with rates like that? Should I be addressing this with another Dr.? Don't get me wrong, I'm really lucky to see the Dr. that I do, I just forget to ask him things because other things are "in the way" at the time.....I've been thinking about this for the past couple days, and want to do something about it. (If possible)

Thanks Ya'll for any input.

Peace

Tommy

Guest tearose

Well, for me, I have such low blood pressure when I wake up. My bp is low and so is my heartrate. 70/50bp and 40-50hr Once I stand I will start to see the rate quickly climb. so, I sit, I start hydrating right away, have a small bit of food, take vitamins, get a bit of caffeine, get into compression, do some activity, meditate, eat, and about four hours later I will have a more livable bp of 100/70 and a more manageable heartrate around 100.

My "normal" daily heart rate range is from a low of 40 to a high of 170. If I go below 40 it is usually in the 35 range and I know I am catching a cold or virus or am wiped out. It is a signal to take immediate action. I go into alarm at 140 and I know I have from 140-157 to take corrective action immediately or I can trigger much higher rates. So, I sit, or lay down right away. If I have allowed my heart to go high for any period of time I will suffer various consequences. I just do not go there. It is not an option. As hard as it can be to don, compression has been my lifesaver!

You may want to learn from those who can take meds/salts what helps to raise blood pressure if that is the morning issue.

To answer the other issue...

Yes, we get use to high heartrates. You learn how to "sense" what is okay and what is worrisome. Even some funky beats or several odd runs of the heart is not unusual. BUT you must have the cardiologist confirm that what you are feeling is something you can deal with on your own. If you are new to this, you will probably visit the doctor numerous times as you learn what is okay and what is not. I have learned what pain is the mvp, what is the feeling of some fluid around the heart, what I can manage and what is not good to ignore. If I concerned myself with the rate I would be at the doctor all the time. What is more important to learn is that the fatigue we feel is valid because our bodies are working hard all day. Try to keep the rate lower so your heart doesn't have to work any harder than necessary.

A Mayo Clinic doctor said that after waking at 7am, by 11am, our hearts have beat what most people's have beat in an entire day. That is what motivates me to always meditate and understand that even though I am peaceful my body is working hard at maintaing all automatic systems.

It is early...I hope I made sense!

tearose

Thanks for input ya'll- I bp is not an issue really, it goes from low for me (97/62) to high for me (153/110) and has been running on the lowish side of late.....my hr though, is never ever below 90. usually above 110. I've just started wondering how can it be that high all the time without adverse effects, long run. This may just be my foggy thinking not processing properly.....but it's my latest of many obsessions with this DD.

Thanks again

Tommy

Currently my baseline while lying down is 50-70. Sitting it is 80-100.

My baseline hr used to be much higher. 10 years ago my hr while lying down was 90-110. Sitting it was never below 120. At this point in time I was diagnosed with POTS and IST (Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia). Over time my hr has gone down, but I have no idea why. My other symptoms have gotten much worse.

Have you tried a beta blocker? If your heartrate is always high, this may be beneficial.

Rachel

My resting rate is generally between 90-100, sitting. If I am moving at all upright, it can go over 130. When I am actively doing something have a rate at 140 isn't unusual. I've gotten used to having a higher baseline, as it was creeping for a few years.I actually haven't been able to get a TTT in 15 years because my baseline is so high every hospital has refused to do it..lol Dr. Grubb's response was that that is diagnostic for POTS almost in itself. They are working on getting my baseline down and some days when I'm sitting it has actually gone down to 80 but they don't know if it will ever get alot lower. For me catapress has been helpful, but I'm had a bit higher than normal rate ever since my ablation for WPW nearly 10 years ago, so I may be a big different than the normal POTSer.

Actually, a RESTING heart rate of 100 or above is cause for concern. If your doctor has ruled everything out, then it is possible to just have a high resting hr from POTS. But a high resting rate can also be a sign of another illness that could be contributing to your POTS in the first place.

Some common causes for high resting heart rates in young people are:

- over-training (too much exercise or too great an increase in exercise)

- having an enlarged heart

- smoking

- having heart disease

- having structural problems with the heart

- overdosing on caffeine

- very poor diet

Having a high resting heart rate can put a person at a higher risk for heart disease and heart attack. If I were you, I would follow up with this with your doctor. Have you had a 24-hour holt monitor test? Then you would know for sure if your heart rate is always in tachycardia (100 or above at rest is considered tachycardia) or if when you sleep your heart gets a break.