Random Hives Question...allergy Season Worsening?

I was putting on makeup this evening (a set of stuff I always use) and noticed hives on my chest. Now I have had hives from makeup, but those were always where I applied the makeup and lasted for days.

The ones I got on my chest were the random ones I occasionally get that go away quickly. Mind you, I always get hives after a shower and sometimes in hot weather.

I saw my allergist for my random hives (and tested negative for dangerous food allergies). He told me he's seen these come on people and then go away down the road - no idea what brought them on and no idea why they left - although he expects some autoimmune issue underlying it.

I am now on Zyrtec and can take Zantac if the hives worsen. I am starting Mestinon tomorrow so want to wait a week or two for Zantac (hate starting two new things at once, as I am sensitive to meds).

The ONLY thing I did 'different' today was eat a Creme de Menthe Altoid. Now I'm scared to eat another and see if the hives pop up. Should I try one tomorrow to see to make SURE that wasn't it? there are no allergen warnings on it and barely any ingredients. so I am doubtful. It's warming up so I have noticed my NORMAL allergens flaring (nose/eyes/etc). Could THIS contribute to hives?

I also can test the few makeup products, but I'm 95% sure those weren't it as those have always been localized. And we're talking powder shadow/pencils.

Thanks, guys. I see the allergist again next month and want to give him all the info I can. I can still breath normally, etc. I think I do get PANICKY when I get random hives, though. Which doesn't help!

Edit: (I am putting on minimal makeup one thing at a time, and all is well. So appears to be one of the other factors...thank goodness because I need my makeup!) :(

Man I hate the random hives!!!!! It's like a bug bite, but no bug! I get them from sweat, pressure from clothing, watch-bands, chemicals/cleaners. I used to get them when I thought about my ex-husband or heard classical music (he was a classical musician.) I'd start the Zantac and forget the makeup---slather on the benadryl cream instead. :(

I have a question about this. I have had POTS symptoms for a couple of years now and am beginning to question whether or not I have some new allergies that I have not figured out. I also get random hives that I can not explain. I'm wondering about the Zantac. I always thought it was used for heart burn. Is it also used for allergies? I have a perscription for it that I only take occassionally for heart burn. If I took it more often would it help with these annoying little itchy hives?

Summer

Guest tearose

I am one to try the possibly "offending" thing to prove or disprove it. I like to be sure! Just be careful and have someone around to help you if you need it. Don't ever go it alone!

feel better,

tearose

I have a question about this. I have had POTS symptoms for a couple of years now and am beginning to question whether or not I have some new allergies that I have not figured out. I also get random hives that I can not explain. I'm wondering about the Zantac. I always thought it was used for heart burn. Is it also used for allergies? I have a perscription for it that I only take occassionally for heart burn. If I took it more often would it help with these annoying little itchy hives?

Summer

You can develop allergies at anytime, whether or not you have any other conditions so yes, you could have new allergies.

As for random hives, my allergist says it's something he sees, but can't explain, either. They are annoying, itchy, etc. but the ones I get don't cause further symptoms so I just try to deal.

You should go see an allergist. I take Zyrtec and was told I could add Zantac if it the hives get worse by my allergist.

Zantac (Ranitidine) is normally used for heartburn as it reduces the acid in the stomach. It's official drug category is "H2 antagonist" - I always assumed the H2 was about acid but it actually means it blocks the Histamine2 receptors. Most antihistamines block the Histamine1 receptors so adding a med to block Histamine2 receptors can help reduce symptoms from allergies.

Personally I take Ranitidine 150mg twice daily and it seems to help control my allergies.

Hives after showers, after exercise, brought on by stress/emotions and when hot - it sounds like cholinergic urticaria. People with allergies (atopy) are more likely to get cholinergic urticaria but the hives are brought on by heat rather than an actual allergy. I did a quick google search and found this article.

I remembered reading about this years ago when my sister saw a dermatologist for hives, the doctor told her it was cholinergic urticaria but she actually turned out to have the much rarer aquagenic urticaria. She would get hives everytime she got wet, including in cold rain! Hers lasted about 6 months then mysteriously vanished again (she had to remember to take an antihistamine an hour before having a shower!).

Flop

Zantac (Ranitidine) is normally used for heartburn as it reduces the acid in the stomach. It's official drug category is "H2 antagonist" - I always assumed the H2 was about acid but it actually means it blocks the Histamine2 receptors. Most antihistamines block the Histamine1 receptors so adding a med to block Histamine2 receptors can help reduce symptoms from allergies.

Personally I take Ranitidine 150mg twice daily and it seems to help control my allergies.

Hives after showers, after exercise, brought on by stress/emotions and when hot - it sounds like cholinergic urticaria. People with allergies (atopy) are more likely to get cholinergic urticaria but the hives are brought on by heat rather than an actual allergy. I did a quick google search and found this article.

I remembered reading about this years ago when my sister saw a dermatologist for hives, the doctor told her it was cholinergic urticaria but she actually turned out to have the much rarer aquagenic urticaria. She would get hives everytime she got wet, including in cold rain! Hers lasted about 6 months then mysteriously vanished again (she had to remember to take an antihistamine an hour before having a shower!).

Flop

Well look at that article! I get hives after every.freaking.shower. (But not in rain). I get hives from stress (have some now because I'm very tired today at work and have a deadline this afternoon, so I get hives, itch, and get more hives). And spicy foods!

I'll bring this article to my allergist next visit. This really sums up what I'm dealing with (and it ***** so badly sitting here with visible hives @ work...they are all over my neck area.). Hope they go away quickly today.

Thanks again for this. It's nice to see all my weird symptoms summarized. I guess I've been in hypersensitivity mode.

I forgot to start Zantac! I'll start it tonight (75/twice day) and let you guys know if it helps at all. Zyrtec is better than Allegra or Claritin so far, too.

Hey Cat Lady,

I'm not allergic to anything, but I get not only hives, but full-blown anaphylaxis when I get stressed. This is a part of MCAD for me. The combo of H-1 and H-2 blockers (zyrtec and zantac) is a great place to start with treatment. I also have to take singulair and atarax at night.

Hives (for me) are a sign that I need to take better care of myself, lessen stress, get more sleep, etc.

Best of luck-

Julie