What Do You Do For A Stuffy Nose?

Maxine

Ditto.

Have a little infection/cold going on right now and my best bet is saline irrigation. Although, I find the Neti Pot doesn't "get through" all that gunk well enough, mostly because the flow of water is so gentle. I use a brand called "Neil Med" and it is a squeeze bottle. I find this better because I can regulate the pressure of the water going into my nose. You do have to be careful not to squeeze the bottle too hard and force too much water in though. It works really well.

I am also taking Mucinex right now, and it really helps to thin out all of the mucus. I notice a difference within a half an hour. And the good thing is, I haven't noticed any side effects with either method (and I get sinus infections a LOT, so have used both of these a number of times). I would say though if you are dizzy, sit down while doing the irrigation so that you don't get even dizzier or feel faint. Sometimes the pressure can do that if you aren't used to it.

Let us know what ends up helping...and feel better! Lots of fluids!! :blink:

Chrissy

salt can REALLY irritate my throat so I must watch the percentage of salt!!!!!!!

Also guaifenisin (sp) is good..the first ingredient in Mucinex (My room mate has a cold and I just read the label :blink: )

guai comes in liquid cough syrup form and you can try that. It has nothing else in it and does not stimulate the heart.

It's GREAT for THINNING mucous...but no guarantee. Drink water and good luck.

Any suggestions. Netty pot? Saline? Does saline unplug your nose?

I can't sleep this way, my mouth ends up like a desert in egypt........... :blink:

Maxine :0)

I use Breathe-Rite nasal strips every night with a dab of lotion on the top of my nose to prevent the adhesive on the strip from causing a mark.

Guest brianala

I use my neti pot on a regular basis when I feel a cold coming on, or around allergy season.

I was just put on Midodrine and of course my allergies start acting up. What should I avoid taking while I'm on it?

Thanks for all your suggestions---- :)

Sophia, that's the only thing I can tolerate---Robitussin with guaifenisin. In fact it kind of makes my POTs feel better for a while too. I know that sound weird, but it does, or I'm imagining it does----maybe because my virus starts to go away.

I usually only use it for chest congestion to help bring it up when I cough. Does it help with nasal congestion?

Right now my junk is getting loose, and draining better, but I think I'll still get some saline anyway. I don't want to assume my cold is going away, because I don't usually get off this easy with colds---- :blink:

My husband's started in his chest.

It seemed that every other person we saw at my brother's funeral had a cold, so everyone is sick. Hi poor wife has such a bad cold she has the beginnings of pneumonia, and he put her on antibiotics. What a nasty week it was last week--- :)

Time for things to get better now for all of us------------including all of you too--- :)valrose.gif

Maxine :0)