Abdominal Compression

Radha

some of you have mentioned using abdominal compressors, can you tell me what brand you recommend and how to measure to get the right size? how tight is it supposed to be in order to keep the blood from pooling? it takes me a long time to eat so i am wondering if i can wear something tightly wrapped around me for so long..........but i desperately need some relief when i am eating! can i order it online and where? thanks for any help

Radha

The one I started with was like 3 large elastic bands sewn together and a large velcro closure. It was a post-surgical support binder. Since then, I moved on to wearing compression garments/girdle like Spanx or shapewear. If I remember correctly, you are a guy(?)...so I'd suggest you get cyclist compression shorts. Measure yourself first thing in the morning so that there is no chance to pool. If they don't seem tight enough, get the next size down. These shorts are easier since they support the whole abdominal area and won't ride up over your diaphragm. I wear my "shapewear" every day and feel so much better for it!

Good luck!

Guest tearose

Any good surgical supply store will have a trained person who can measure you.

I have a Verinoque full torso-garment and also shorter girdle type garments.

You may have to try one or two things to see what helps best.

tearose

I can't have anything too tight around my middle or I get nauseated. Compression hose (30-40) were too tight. I now wear Spanx. They've worked well for me, but if you can tolerate a higher compression, then it would be better to go with a medical compresison strength.

I hope you can find something that works for you.

Rachel

Ooops! Sorry! :)

Spanx and others can be purchased online. The skinny might be the hard part though. Take your measurements before you pool and order from them. Try several firmnesses, I have to have extra firm, but no boning (ribs.) I have found that Maidenform makes a nice "thigh shaper" in firm that controls much of my pooling and is much cheaper than Spanx (I got mine from WalMart) they also have a high waisted version that is great till you have to go to the bathroom, then forget it! Could you have someone go shop for you? (Mom or sister?) I have found that you can't try these on at the store, but you can return them as long as the tags are on. :huh: That way you can find out what is comfortable to get into, you can still breathe in, and what might work. To fit mine, I squeeze into it, then try to pooch my tummy out. If there is little or no difference in how far you can let it out, the shapewear is not firm enough. These things are made for women with lots to hold in, so they don't work real well on slimmer women. I wish Jobst or Sigvaris would make these!

Jennifer

I also need to buy everything online at the moment, let me try and find what I purchased last year. It is a very wide stretchy band with velcro -- no measuring required! ;-)

I too can not tolerate anything tight on my waist so I wear only high compression thigh highs. I use the ab compression lately if I want to do a Zazen sit in full lotus. It helps me not blood pool so badly that my pulse goes thru the roof ... less than optimal for meditation. ;-)

The velcro wrap is easy for me to put on and off as desired. I wear it on the outside of my clothes ... and since I'm not dressing to impress it works fine for what I need. I'll search around for where I got it and let you know.

Here is a link the product I have purchased. I wear the Mid Thigh Shaper. I tried the Mid Thigh Smoother at first, but it had very, very little compression. The shaper is tighter. If you are very skinny even the shaper might not be tight enough, though. A small is the smallest size they have. No extra small. :)

If you try the garment on and it doesn't work for you, you are allowed to return it to Spanx as long as it is still in excellent condition. You'd be out the cost of return shipping, but at least you could get your money back from the product.

Rachel

though too hot for summer, go to Walmart exercise section and get velcro wrap around binder. About 8 inches wide. just wrap as tightly as YOU need and cut off excess.

not fancy but does the trick for me!!!!!!

That way no matter how tiny you are THIS will fit..Velcrol

:)

this spanx doesnt seem to be what i am looking for, is there any prescription strength compression for the abdomen? i cannot walk or stand at all so i dont think i need it for legs, juts trying to limit how much blood goes to stomach when i eat, thanks so much for all your help

Radha

this spanx doesnt seem to be what i am looking for, is there any prescription strength compression for the abdomen? i cannot walk or stand at all so i dont think i need it for legs, juts trying to limit how much blood goes to stomach when i eat, thanks so much for all your help

Radha

Radha,

You ONLY pool when you eat? No other time? Are you sure?

I did not think that I was pooling at all, until I used my compression garments.

Now, I can see the difference, literally. I pool in my abdomen and legs

I don't swell in my lower legs and ankles like in my thighs and abdomen.

Mine have helped tremendously!.

Guest tearose

I agree with firewatcher Radha, you may be very surprised to see how much better you will feel all day long once you get into compression.

It is a long, struggle process for me (and most) to get into compression and then it takes about 20 minutes for the real value to be felt...but it is an incredible feeling...like my legs are suddenly alive and invigorated and I can get around stronger!! My torso will feel stronger and supported and I can stand and move better! I have not had problems with eating as long as I eat smaller more frequent meals!

Please try both the abdominal compression and compression hose again. If I did not feel so strongly that it helped save my life, I would not plead like this.

I can not take any medications and I have had to learn how to behavior modify to treat my symptoms. I am not cured but I can manage a life now.

I hope you will find something to help.

best regards,

tearose

Now wait one stinkin' minute ;) ...abdominal compression??? is that what the compression stockings are for??? are we supposed to be compressing our tummies, our thighs, our legs or all of the above? Ack!!! What? :blink:

I've never done the compression stockings because I've never really noticed any pooling in my legs or feet - no swelling or turning purple or blotchy or anything like that...but it sounds like I could be pooling blood somewhere (tummy? thighs? legs?) and not know it?

Is blood pooling necessarily a definite part of POTS - if I have POTS, I have blood pooling?

I must say, the idea of wearing a tummy compressor is kinda tempting due to the fact that I have a rather disproportionately large tummy anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe I could fit into my jeans better. Maybe I could eat without my stomach bloating up and feeling like I swallowed a dad-gum basketball. (Though admittedly I haven't participated in the whole small meals thing. :unsure: )

But I would definitely try the tummy compressor, especially if it will help my POTS. Do I get a tummy compressor/girdle or a tummy and thigh compressor in one? or the full-on stockings (I hate the idea of wearing stockings in warm weather!)

Amber

Now wait one stinkin' minute ;) ...abdominal compression??? is that what the compression stockings are for??? are we supposed to be compressing our tummies, our thighs, our legs or all of the above? Ack!!! What? :blink:

I've never done the compression stockings because I've never really noticed any pooling in my legs or feet - no swelling or turning purple or blotchy or anything like that...but it sounds like I could be pooling blood somewhere (tummy? thighs? legs?) and not know it?

Is blood pooling necessarily a definite part of POTS - if I have POTS, I have blood pooling?

I must say, the idea of wearing a tummy compressor is kinda tempting due to the fact that I have a rather disproportionately large tummy anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe I could fit into my jeans better. Maybe I could eat without my stomach bloating up and feeling like I swallowed a dad-gum basketball. (Though admittedly I haven't participated in the whole small meals thing. :unsure: )

But I would definitely try the tummy compressor, especially if it will help my POTS. Do I get a tummy compressor/girdle or a tummy and thigh compressor in one? or the full-on stockings (I hate the idea of wearing stockings in warm weather!)

Amber

Amber, not all of us pool in the same places. I don't pool lower than my knees, but the tummy is olympic sized! I always thought is was stretched out because of two BIG babies! But it is not! I pool in my abdomen and legs, that's why my pants always fit tighter later.

If I wear a "thigh shaper" that covers from at above the knee up to above the waist, WOW what a difference! But I need FIRM support. They are not like Grandma's girdle with boning and hooks and stuff (though they can be, I just can't get that off fast enough whenn the dDAVP quits!)

oh, I have another question:

how does tummy compression affect those with GERD/chronic acid reflux?

Amber

You have to make sure that it doesn't come up too high on/over the diaphragm. As long as it only sits over the intestines, you are good. It will keep you mindful of your posture too, which is good for GERD. I have gotten much of my quality of life back from compression! If I have to be a balloon animal with a squeezer in the middle, so be it! :rolleyes: My kids call them "Mom's squeezy pants!"

I've been looking for that velcro ab belt I bought a couple years ago ... and can't seem to find the same one. I tend to by discount items so my sense is I picked it up at Dr. Leonards, but they don't seem to have the same one available now.

However they had this cute magnetic ab belt that looked interesting ... I of course have no idea how it would fair.

Slimmer Belt with Magnets

• 3 months later...

I wear waist high or thigh high compression hose daily, but today I went to Walmart and bought some "firm support" boy shorts. I feel so much more alert... not normal, mind you, but I'm excited to have something else that helps! What made me initially think abdominal compression would help is because lately I've felt like passing out while sitting so I remembered a trick someone here suggested to really suck in you abdomen to try to force blood back up to your brain. Well, that little trick worked for me so I knew I was pooling in my abdomen.

I have a sore left hip (from a car accident and 2 surgeries), and the boy shorts are a little too tight around my hip. I might instead try the velcro band that Sophia suggested. I saw one at WalMart just now labeled as a lumbar support. It's just $10. One package was open so I tried it on over my shirt and I think it will work :rolleyes: . Thanks, guys, for posting your suggestions on this thread!!! Like Rachel, traditional meds haven't worked for me and compression gives me some quality of life!

Thankful

Hope you get help from abdominal compression.

I can't wear them in this freaking heat/high dewpoints. I am warm in the house in halter dress...sigh..but compression works great in cool weather. With tall ceilings and old windows. AC on 80 during day (LOTS of fans) and 77 or 76 night.

i am VERY heat intolerant, moreso than many.

good luck

Sophia,

Sorry you have so much trouble in the heat. I'm lucky to be in the Pacific Northwest where the high temp today was 72. Next month we'll probably have to set up our portable AC unit. I hope I can wear at least my hose in the heat... no compression on top of heat... well you know how that feels!