Allergies And Ans Connection- Again

mkoven

I know that there have been many posts recently about the relationships between ans stuff and mast cells. I periodically get very allergic at the same time I'm autonomically unstable-- not always connected, but now two months running, right around my period, when my bp and other ans symptoms are out of wack, my nose itches like crazy, as does my throat. And this is after taking my standard allegra, singulair, nasonex, and saline nasal rinse. I could take benadryl , but then I'll be dopey for the day. In simple, layperson's terms, what would be the connection? It can;t be random. there's really no new allergen. It started yesterday after my treadmill time, and I feel like I'm in intense hayfever mode-- in February! My sister asked if I had a cold, as I sound stuffed up, but I know it's not that, as it's the congestion that comes from intense itching-- like I have to stop my self from rubbing my nose off my face.

I've not noticed this - I will have to pay attention during my next cycle. Are you on any type of birth control?

I don't know how hormones play into allergies...but I would assume those could cause allergies to flare since they make my POTS symptoms go crazy. And my periods make me much for fatigued than before I had POTS (they were always bad, and still are, but now there's more achy body fatigue).

The allergist I saw said he's seen random hives for 'no reason' and never could find a reason, and some people have them for a few years and then they are gone as fast as they came. But his gut feeling it's something to do with the autoimmune system/diseases.

And don't more women get autoimmune diseases than men? And women are the ones with more hormonal issues. There must be a connection somewhere.

There are definately more woman than men in most autoimmune patient groups - other than Ankylosing Spondalitis which is the opposite and which I have a mild form.

It is interesting that many woman experience worsening symptoms when they are going through their period.

This doesnt makes sense given most of the current models of POTS - but it DOES make sense if you apply Dr.Stewart's theory that some forms of POTS are caused or mediated by elevated Angiotensin II - a hormone/chemical marker that increases during a woman's period.

Increased Angiotensin II results in lower potassium levels, increased thirst, increased edema and according to Dr Stewart, increased presense of the free radical superoxide which lowers levels of neuronal nitric oxide - which is vital for proper local blood flow. Angiotensin II is also a potent sympathetic nervous system exciter - increasing release of NE.

Hi,

This is all very interesting to me, because I have had strange hive reactions ever since I have been sick. Reactions to things that no one has reactions to. I just did the QSART test, and on just one of the places where I wore the cup thing I had a bubbly hive rash just the perfect shape of the cup. But I usually get hives all over my body, and can't make any definate connection with a food or anything. Plus I get racing heart with medications, and muscle weakness,and strange swelling that gets blamed on infections, and just a whole bunch of strange things happen to me that are not in the classic realm of allergies. And I am definately sicker when I am on my period.

The other thing that intrests me is that when I was pregnant it was found that I have a RH- factor. Which is where the mother of the child has a negative blood type, and the father a positive blood type. If the baby is a positve blood type the mothers body attacks the baby like it is a foreign object. For this I had to take rogham which is like a immuneglobulin thing. And the way that my pots was discovered was the blood test for autoimmune antibodies to the ganglia. And I was told it is a "neurological autoimmune disease".

Is there any connection between these allergy type reactions you get, and anything specific, other than your period? I notice I get my hives more when I am tired.

I read somewhere that there is a tendancy for people with dysautonomia to have chemical sensitivites. I don't remember where I read this though. This was an interesting subject, thank you for posting it.

Suzy

I haven't had any official tests on this, but my legs do have a tendancy to turn blueish, and my stomach, and chest, and if my hand is low it does also. Do they test you for this in an official way? Or is it just based on symptoms?

Suzy

All4Family -

My hives are so inconsistent except in a hot shower. Always get 'em all over, but they aren't itchy. Just hot. And go away quickly. Otherwise, they'll pop up here and there, and I can eat the same thing for 5 days and get hives one of the days. I was tested for food allergies and they came back clear (skin test).

I'll have to pay attention to the tiredness and my next period (hives). Never even thought about that.

I found out my mother was RH- (I was the first so it was ok) but she had to get shots with my brother and sister. Now my sister is showing POTS symptoms (high heart rate after standing for a minute, we did 'tests' when I was home for XMAS - LOL). Anyone else have this themselves or a mother with this issue?

You wonder how this all ties together. But it has to somehow! We all have similar bizarre symptoms and my allergist wasn't surprised with my symptoms, rare, but nothing he hasn't seen. I just keep remembering him saying how he's seen them go away as fast as they come. Maybe I'll wake up one day and be healed! LOL

Hi cat lady.

That is so interesting, and yes it makes you think all these things can't be happening to so many of us, and there not be some connection.

I sure wish they(the rashes) left as fast as they came. I used to get them as a child, but only occasionally, and I can remember my mother thinking that it was from something I touched, and rubbing meat tenderizer all over it. But once I became sick I started to get them all the time.

I must have got my RH- from my dad. Because my mother has a positive blood type. And my dad had some "mystery illness" of fainting when standing, and low blood pressure. I sure hope my daughter doesn't get this. She already has hives, and allergies to both medications and foods. She was my first, and her blood type was positive. My second pregnancy I had a miscarriage. My son was my 3rd pregnancy. His blood type was negative, so there was no threat to him. I often wonder if the second pregnancy was lost due to the RH factor.

Suzy

Hi,

Before I read many of the other responses the only thought I had was more of increase in ANS symptoms in the form of vasomotor rhinitis. I figure if our ANS symptoms can increase with our time of the month that if you are prone to vasomotor rhinitis symptoms that these may increase as well. Mine wax and wane, and I haven't observed a pattern before, and this month I had a cold, so not a very useful observation period. :) Vasomotor rhinitis triggers for me are exercise (or sustained activity like cleaning), eating, hot or cold environment, etc. Although this may not be what you are describing I thought I would bring it up. :)