Update

nunibenuni

I've had a busy fall and haven't been on the forums much. I thought that I should update everyone. I am feeling better than I was last year and over the summer. I spent most of the fall busy with school and college apps. I saw a POTS doctor in Chicago in September and it is nice to have a doctor close by. The doctor diagnosed my brother with POTS as well. At the same appointment, my brother and I had echos. Both of us had ASDs!!! We got TEEs (trans esophageal echo) and our doctors decided that we should have them repaired. On December 19th, my brother and I both had our ASDs repaired. The same doctor one after another. It was a family affair! We had to spend the night in the hospital, but, luckily, we were placed in the same room. I had never spent a night in the hospital before (except when I was born). Hospitals are not made for sleeping! We were discharged the next day. The repair is amazing. I was walking the next day and even went to a concert at church the night I got home. The repair and Christmas tied up the beginning of my winter break. I tried to relax over break and finished my last college app. I also had a lot of homework to do. I had exams this past week. I think I did well on most of them. One good thing about being sick is that I feel amazing whenever I do well in school, despite not being there or not being able to concentrate.

An ASD is an Atrial Septal Defect. It is a whole in the wall between the top two chambers of the heart.

I still have POTS. I haven't noticed any change in symptoms since the surgery. ASDs can cause strokes and other yucky things later in life, which is why I had the repair. I'm hoping that it helps my fatigue a bit, but there isn't much more that should change.