Getting rid of a migraine...

MightyMouse

Hi all, I've had a boomer of a migraine for a few days now and feel like I need to go through detox after all the meds I've tried to get rid of it.

Any thing work for any of you other than the standard stuff (triptans, dhe, midrin, caffeine, sleep, darkness, etc....)?

:P <--that's my head in a vise grip; okay, not quite because it's just my right parietal and occipital, but you get the idea--and there wasn't an emoticon with big bloody spikes in the head

Nina :o

Edited by MightyMouse

A couple of times - when I've had the migraine from h**l and nothing else has worked I have had luck with a very warm rice bag on my forehead. Had to re-heat several times but it worked. Hubby, on the other hand, usually has more luck with cold packs. Good luck getting it to leave!!

Thanks guys--I appreciate the nice words...and ideas. I'll have to give them a try when I get home; I teach a graduate class tonight as part of my Ph.D. internship and I can't miss it. My head is still throbbing, but not quite as intense as earlier today.

Nina

Hi again,

Corina, I'm studying for my doctorate in behavior analysis, which is a "doctor of philosophy", or if translating from the Latin version, the word philosophy comes before the word doctor, so the initials are Ph.D. I am required to do an internship in college teaching and and internship in research--this is basically an apprenticeship, where I work under the guidance of someone who already does the job. So, for the next year, I'll be taking my graduate classes, teaching other graduate students in fullfillment of my Ph.D. internship, and doing rearch in fullfillment of my Ph.D. internship.

Off to go find some ice...Dawg T, I'm like your husband...not sure why, but the thought of heat doesn't sound good--hot bathes when I'm headachey make me feel awful. If the ice doesn't work, yoga is next.

Again, thanks so much for your good thoughts--it means a lot. :rolleyes: Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Thanks for asking, I'm doing a little better. Still have the headache, but not as intense. The nausea is getting to me today though.

As for teaching versus research, the cool thing is that my day-to-day job always includes both. I'm a board certified associate behavior analyst, and in addition to working directly with children and staff, I also use data to guide my day to day practice.

Nina

Coming to think of it, the working with the children is very nice. I think you've got a perfect combination in your work. But how can you manage all of this with having POTS (and the other stuff you have)? I've stopped working for more then a year now but I REALLY want to go back and maybe some day. . . you never now, don't you think. Oh and Nina, were you the one who once was in Holland at Papendal? Sorry to ask but I keep on forgetting so many things :rolleyes:

Corina

Chamomile, marjoram, eucalyptus & grapefruit essential oils may be helpful. Don't overwhelm yourself, though. A couple drops to a hot or icy cold towel on the head is what I use in my massage practice for my clients. I let the client choose if he/she prefers heat or cold for pain relief.

I also work on the scalene muscles deep within the neck and the occipital muscles at the back of the head, as your head goes into your neck. Try having someone hold pressure on these spots for 30 seconds at a time.

Good luck,

amy

I have peppermint oil here at home...and lavendar. I have to avoid chamomile though--it's in the ragweed family and I'm violently allergic to it.

Yes, I was the one who's been to Papendal for an international autism conference where I presented... and Amsterdam too.

Some days I wonder how I am able to work too... some days I want to work and can't physically do it. Yesterday I just went on raw personal motivation and intention; on my worst days though, that wont cut it and no amount of pushing through will get me out of bed despite my brain saying "GO FOR IT!"

I'm paying for it today though... Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Hi, just wanted to say thanks to you all for your ideas...and help. My headache is nearly gone. I'm wide awake at well after 1am, but I'll take it as long as I'm not in pain :) Ahhhhhhhhhh ....that's better. :D

Hi Nina,

I get Migraines very often and I understand what you mean about going through detox. About 8 months ago, I was even put into the hospital to try to break it. I, working with my Doctor, figured out what worked best for me which is:

1. Injection of Steroids ASAP

2. Phenergan for stomach and it has also been shown to help break the cycles of migraines. They say Reglan in an IV works as well.

3. Ultram/Tramadol for pain. This is NOT going to make you stoned. It is non-addictive and it works miracles!!! It's also great because you can take it for long periods of time. I have recommended this medication to everyone I know with migraines and I have received hugs from all of them.

4. Benadryl - Not sure why this helps. When I stayed in the hospital the neurologist said that they use it all the time mixed with phenergan because it enhances the phenergan in breaking the migraine.

5. Depakote - Use this as a preventative for migraines. Works great for me!

Hope this helps!

Susan

Glad to hear that your migraine is getting better. I understand from my neurologist that these headaches are much more difficult to treat the longer they persist.

My mother (ave shalom) used to lay down and put a washcloth soaked in white vinegar on her forehead (farhead?--brain fog). She swore by it.

Me personally, I go from maxalt to DHE injectables if the maxalt doses in a day doesn't knock it out.

This week, I too have been bothered with migraines. Is it the humidity/rain storms on the east coast, is it stress, or maybe fatigue?

Good luck on your teaching internship. Is this your last year?

My daughter just started grad school at Brandeis! She seems to be liking it. Quite a big difference from the large public university.

Feel better,

goldicedance

Thanks--it's back a bit today. Yes, once the headache sets in, it's really tough to get rid of. I had one last 3 months a few years back.

I used to have ultram/ultracet at home, but it stopped working for me :( not sure why? Anyway, that's when we went back to the old standard, midrin.

Essentially, I think my life would be perfect if I were just nocturnal :D it's quieter and darker :)

As for school... I WISH it was my final year, but no, at least 2 years left, maybe 2.5. Actually, I have to finish at the 3.0 year mark, as that is the limit placed by my university (7 years from matriculation to degree confirmation). My comprehensive examination is a few months away. Once I've taken that, I acheive "candidacy", which means I may formally begin my dissertation as a "Ph.D. Candidate".

Nina :)