Mottled Skin

runningshoe

Hello!

Just wondering who else gets very mottled skin. It is not the purple look of blood pooling but a mottled look all over my legs. My dr says it is vasoconsriction. What I can't figure out because my brain is mottled too, is why this happens and how it fits into the pots scheme. It usually only happens in the evening. It is how I know I have had a long day.

I am so impressed by all of you who can keep track of the current research and what it all means. I can't even remember why my legs look like they do!

Thanks

I find that my thighs especially go a funny colour. They are very pale but with a reddish mosaic pattern, they feel really cold to touch as well. I have worked out that it is caused by lack of blood flow to the skin (probably due to vasoconstriction). I sussed this by measuring the capillary refil time. Press hard on the skin for at least 5 seconds, when you stop pressing there will be a pale area - count how long it takes for it to return to the same colour as the surrounding skin (nromal is less than 2 seconds). This method won't be valid if you have just come in from the cold or are outdoors!

Flop

When I first lower my arms or legs, they will turn a solid reddish blue. But if I leave them down for a minute or so, I get distinct patches of white mixed in and the white patches won't even blanche. I know I have problems with not just pooling but also vasoconstriction because I'm proned to raynaud's symptoms also. But I've read that mottled extremities are somewhat common in POTS I think. Janie

I've been doing a bit more reading about livedo reticularis (the google images pictures look like my legs go when they are cold). Apparently the apperance is due to dilated vessels in the skin that are trying to compensate for deeper vessels being constricted, there is sluggish blood flow at the skin.

I hope that makes sense - ie it is a combination of both vasoconstriction and vasodilatation at the same time!

Flop