Cutting Mestinon Tablets

Radha

for those of you who take very low dose of mestinon, is it hard to cut a 60mg tablet into 10 mg doses? does the tablet just turn into powder or does it stay in little pieces? i have to start out very very low but i dont want to pay for it if i cannot cut it up into so many tiny doses, thanks for your input, and do you think it might help for facial weakness and swallowing difficulty, but no eye problems?

Radha

i started with the 10mg tablets and built my way op to 120mg 3 times a day. the 60mg tablets i have aren't made to split so i ditto what nina said and think you better ask your pharmacist for the 10mg ones.

hope this hekps,

take care,

corina :)

This medicine comes in liquid form and you can ask for a measuring syringe to pull the exact milligrams in liquid form. That's what my doctor ordered, the liquid form, because I am so sensitive to medicines.

I don't think you could cut a 60mg tablet into 10mg doses. That would mean cutting the tablet into sixths, which would be all but impossible to cut accurately.

Dr. Grubb prescribed Mestinon for me once. He wanted me to start on a tiny dose and said that the liquid would be an option, but that it was a pain (I think because it is so thick and syrupy). He said I could just cut the tablets into quarters. It wasn't an exact dose, but for me that was okay. Cutting the pills in half is very easy (they were scored). I don't remember if they were scored for quarters or not.

Even with scoring, cutting pills doesn't give an exact dose. Definitely check with your doctor or pharmacist for dosing options.

Rachel

They are definitely not good at splitting - they will break and crumble and you won't get an accurate dose. I use the children's version - it's liquid. I take probably 17mg 3/day - random dose, but that's the great thing about the liquid - you can take whatever dose you need.