Handicap Plates & Americans With Disability Act

iheartcats

I recently applied for handicap plates, per my doctor, and am hoping it goes smoothly. I sent in all required paperwork plus the fees last weekend.

Unfortunately, I may be moving to another state sometime in 2009 - has anyone moved to another state and had handicap plates? Will I just need to take the new state's form filled out by my doctor to the DMV when I register?

Also - regarding ADA - is there a special card or anything? I never know exactly what ADA is - I know it protects people with disabilities - but is it something you have to be qualified for?

The reason I'm asking is when I go in to apply for things like handicap plates I get 'looks' - I can show them my Heart Rate Monitor (just standing there and it's 130 or more sometimes!). One nice lady did say it's 'no one's business, between myself and my doctor' which I appreciated.

But as you all know, when you don't look sick and you're getting permanent disability plates, some people can give you the eye.

Thanks!

Cat_Lady-

I'm very surprised that you had to pay fees to get the handicap tag. (I just have the tag, not the plates.) Mine was free here in wintery Connecticut. And there should be no questions whatsoever, you have a doctor's note and it's your rite to get the sticker/plate!

This may sound weird, but when I went for the handicap tag, I was limping due to a previous injury. No questions were asked. Sometimes it's not worth it to try to explain things to people, it's better just to let them "think" they know what is really wrong. Most people don't understand how a fast heart rate is bad, but they do understand a limp.

Sara

ADA is the American's with Disabilities Act. It protects us from discrimination in the workplace and allows us access to things that able bodied/minded people get. There is no card, as far as I know, though I do have a card for my Ehlers-Danlos - great reading material for the EMTs.

I got a hang tag in Illinois. I'm in DC for the year, and have no problems. I just had to mail the form into the dmv. I've never gotten an ADA card.

My tag was for my joints, but I use it for my range of symptoms, since my diagnosis is EDS, the cause of my dys and pain.

I've never had to explain anything, just mail in the form with doctor's part filled out.

Things are similar here in the UK. My cardiologist wrote a letter saying that I couldn't walk very far due to POTS. I got a form from my local social services office and filled it in. Normally they would write to your doctor but they already had a letter from mine so didn't need to. I had to give them a photo (for the back of the card) and a ?2 fee. My badge lasts for 3 years then I will have to re-apply. A UK blue-badge is valid for the whole of Europe (but there are different parking arrangements in some countries).

Only today I parked outside "PC World" and as I got out of my car a lady yelled across "you shouldn't park in the disabled space" I just replied "I have a blue badge" and walked off. (She replied "have you???" and from the disgusted look she gave me I bet she thinks I've pinched an elderly person's badge. I left her to go and look at the badge on my car dashboard - I can't hang about, might faint!).

Flop

Flop,

Stories like that make me so angry! I wish people wouldn't make assumptions if we don't look visibly sick. There are so many invisible disabilities. I don't get too many looks, as I do use a walker, but I do get a lot of nosy questions, and patronizing comments. I wish I had the perfect comeback for someone like that.

(I've recently joined a gym to continue my cardiac rehab on my own closer to home with a hr monitor. The attendant makes so many well-meaning but inappropriate comments since I have a walker. It's so odd to see people react. Also , the building that I currently live in has a door-person. On bad days, my husband takes me in the wheelchair. And it's funny to see people flip. I just say, "I'm having a bad day," and leave it at that. So making a disability visible also has annoying consequences. I don't like to be patronized, and I don't like to tell strangers my life story. On the other hand, a little public education on the range of disabilities and a little tact would be nice.)

I have a blue hang tag in California. I also just needed to mail in my doctor's note. No problem.

The looks and comments are part of the stigma, but I try and remember these could be good people, just woefully misinformed. A good friend of mine confided to me that before she met me and understood why I have a handicap tag, she use to always think to herself "Must be a MENTAL disability, because it certainly wasn't physical!"

Problem is there are still so many people who DO snag their grandmother's hang tag just to get a good parking spot.

I get strange looks, when I get out and WALK over to the wheelchair my husband holds for me. No matter. It feels WONDERFUL just to be able to get out a bit.

Good luck finding things that will make your life a bit easier.

~EM

Hi,

I got mine because I could not walk far. My doctor signed the papers and it cost 15$. I have to renew every 5 years I think.

What upset me also is when I see a car parked with no handicap tag in our spots. Yesterday there was a young man waiting in the car for his girlfriend. He was there in case the police come to give him a ticket so that he can fly away!

My Mum gets really embarrassed when I park in disabled spaces. I know that I look okay but being able to park right outside the shop (and easily open the car door wide) makes it so much easier for me to get out and about. If I had to use all my energy walking to and from the car I'd never have any energy to do the shopping or visit wherever I am going.

Flop

Some days I'm feeling awful and have to get out for something, and the tags will help. Or like Flop said, I'd have to use all my 'extra energy' just getting across the lot. And sometimes I get a bad spell and need to get back to the car - the daunting walk through a lot is not good in that situation.

There are may reasons the tags are needed, but it is so frustrating the looks/comments people give when they don't think you need it. I'll happily trade my illness for being healthy - I'll park clear at the far end, thank you very much, and you can have my tag!

I'm really thankful for my disabled parking tag. I don't care what people think... I have to save my energy! I usually just end up using my own wheelchair or holding onto my hubby until I can get into an electric cart at the store. Mine was free. I just have to have my PCP fill out the DMV form.

My mom was going into a store when some guy stopped and yelled at her at the entrance about not looking sick (she has metastatic cancer), and he left and was too cowardly even to hear her reply. She told a store worker who was heard his comment that most days she doesn't even feel up to getting out of the house. Ignorant people - ugh!

I got my first handicap tags in Alaska. My doctor filled out the form and I took it to the DMV. It was very simple. A few years later I moved to Georgia. When it came time to get GA tags, I had to bring in a new form filled out by my new doctor in GA. Basically, you just go through the same process again to get handicap plates in another state.

I've never had a problem with people questioning my need for a handicap plate. It has always gone smoothly.

Rachel

Hello,

I wanted to chime in and say make sure you lock your car doors...I've already had one of the hanging handicapped tags stolen. (I guess this is where the plates are better) I had to drive all the way back and pay another $10 for a replacement.

These tags are definitely a blessing.

Lisa

I got plates on my car, and a tag for when I'm with friends/folks. But I rarely use it, unless needed. I always force myself to walk as far as I can.

As far as people giving you looks... just ignore those peoples. They're typically jealous (I actually had someone complain that I had a tag, and he didn't for his bad back... and made a huge fuss over it), or making assumptions in their head to be angry with people just 'cause they're sour.

Definitely lock your doors, like lalalisa said.

The State send me a the placard so I can move it between vehicles (in case I'm a passenger). This is fine, not a big deal.

Now I have to find out who the building owner is at work and ask them why they don't have disability parking (and ask the city what are the requirements for a business).

On a side note - if I move to another state, can I have my local doctor fill out the paperwork? I may still be seeing him once or twice a year, anyway, for my treatment.

Thanks!