Vasovagal Syncope

gertie

When I have any pain in the abdomen area usually during a BM, I pass out. I've been doing this for many years. I may go for a month with no problem then a stomach cramp & I'm out like a light. Sweat, nausea etc. Now that I'm a senior I'm told it is more serious because of heart failure or breaking a bone if I fall off the pot. My neuro is so nonchalant about it. She always says if you fall just get up & drink something, don't worry about it. You can see what I have to work with.

If this happens to you have you found a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks.

I haven't found many people who suffer from this. I also have this problem but it is delayed usually long enough to get off the toilet. I put my head down between my knees sometimes. I also have problems where swallowing will set off symptoms. Just recently I am having problems when I pee too. Bummer for me. Can't eat, pee, poop, or talk too much or I'll go limp and loose my ability to talk. Bummer!!

Smiles

Thanks for your replies. Of all the Dysautonomia symptoms I have this is the worst because of being helpless to stop it. It's so embarrassing. Everytime I need to have a BM I start thinking about how sick I could get from it. I'm always fearful of leaving home. What if I get sick on the road & no bathroom & even if I could get to a BR I would end up on the floor. It's too horrible to think about.

Hi Alicia,

I don't know if this is the case for you but some people who have defecation syncope have worse symptoms if they have to strain to pass stools. I wonder if changing your diet or adding a stool softner treatment would make it much less strain on your body to have a very soft BM and reduce the stimulation to the vagus nerve that causes the blackouts?

Flop

I use to take a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm. It was a powder and one of the "side effects" was it produced soft stools ... even loose stools if you took too much. Maybe something like that would help because the magnesium would have a positive effect on all the soft tissues as well as the heart.

Good luck finding something that helps!