This Is All New To Me

KSJayhawk

Hi all. I was recently diagnosed with POTS. I'm just not used to wearing hose of any kind all the time. Except during the winter, I usually wear capri pants and flip-flops. Wondering if hose that go only mid-calf would still be effective, or do they have to go clear over feet and ankles? I've looked at forum posts about spanx and Dr Rey's supporwear, but I'm just not sure what style of these things I should try. I appreciate any advice you may have. I'm 38 y.o. busy mom of two and willing to try anything to feel better. I don't want to sleep my life away. Thanks, KSJayhawk.

I don't know about everyone, but calf length hose wouldn't work for me because I have most of my blood pooling in my feet. I need to squeeze the blood up from the very bottom. You may want to talk to the dr. who diagnosed you with POTS about getting a prescription for compression hose or other garments.

Meg

Howdy,

After my POTS diagnosis, the doctor recommended an abdominal support belt/binder. After wearing mine for a week or two I can actually tell a difference. I pool in my stomach mostly and my legs. Yesterday I wore 20mmhg support hose and they helped too. THe belt is the easiest and quickest, I have not yet found spanx or a pull on girdle that is comfortable and provides enough anti-pooling support. I'm going to call next week and get an Rx for the higher compression hose. Let me know if you find something and I'll post if I do.

FASHION! Oh, when will Runway Project feature our lovely medical hose?!

The hose were a big change. I like capris too. Sometimes I take a hose holiday and just wear what I want. They really do help though- esp when its hot outside, which is wierd, because they made you hotter. Anyway, the best thing I've found for the hose are to wear men's bike shorts (tight ones) for or over undies. Then, the hose material doesn't take off your skin because it is so coarse. Plus, these shorts are soooo comfy to sleep in!

The Spanx stuff is expensive, runs, and doesn't seem to work so well. If it makes you feel better- I actually dyed a pair of my hose with rit dye and it worked out really well. Now, I have brown and blacks to match my outfits. After a while, you'll build up a collection and these are easy ways to make it look like you are not wearing medical hose.

Kits

My preference is thigh high compression stockings. If I want ab compression I wear that separate. I normally can't tolerate anything on my waist. I also live in Birkenstocks so I cut the stockings at the ankle. Which is harsh given their price! But I hate not having my toes able to wiggle around. I never get pooling in my feet, my ankles never swell and I've not had a problem with snipping the ends off my thigh high compressions.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

I usually wear knee high compression socks/compression hose. I have some mens compression dress socks that work well for me in the winter. I have some opaque toeless ones that I can wear with sandals in the summer. They are also very comfortable to wear around the house. I have other compression hose that are very sheer. I wear them with capri pants all the time in the summer. They help me feel better, so I don't worry about how it looks.

I have worn thigh-high compression in the past, but lately I've been too sensitive to the silicone band. It irritates my skin. I've tried the waist high compression hose, but it was too tight around my tummy and made me nauseated. They work very well for others, though, so you may want to give them a try. For a couple of years now I've just been using knee high compression hose/socks. Sometimes I also wear Spanx compression shorts (Mid Thigh Shaper). This adds a little bit of abdominal compression, but not so much that I get nauseated.

If you want to know about specific brands/styles that I have found helpful, just let me know.

Rachel

I wear the 20-30 mm/Hg waist high compression hose (Rx) . . . that is, when I can get them on, LOL. The tactile allodynia makes getting them on disagreeable pain-wise, so I need help. I have one pair that are black and I think are vastly more attractive than the "nude" (medical-looking) ones. The black ones, paired with thigh-high boots and a cute skirt look like normal tights for winter.

I just made a post in the other compression wear thread on the front page---there is a bunch of compression wear on Amazon that may be worth a look. Three brands looked good to me, Marena, Ardyss, and Lipo in a Box. There are a couple that are certified compression-wear. Good luck in finding the one right for you!

Thanks everyone for the advice...boy these things sure are tight!! LOL. But, I really can tell the difference in how I feel. I feel like my brain is finally getting enough oxygenated blood. Thanks again, I'll be keeping an eye on the forums for more tips and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers (I feel like I know many of you already). KSJayhawk