High Catecholamines Levels For Pots Diagnosis?

Patricia

I have read that most POTS patients have elevated catecholamine levels. It has even been suggested due to my symptoms, that I have the hyperadrenergic form and yet my catecholamine levels have always been normal. Now, a new, though very bright, Cardiologist is questioning if my POTS diagnosis is even accurate calling it a "muddy" diagnosis at best?!! knowing I have something seriously wrong though. I have always had my meds, Inderal and Ativan, in my system when the tests were done.

I did a search on this and the front of this web site with info. states that most POTS people have elevated levels, but do all NEED to in order to have the diagnosis? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks so much.

Patricia

Recently I searched though lots of POTS resources trying to find a proper definition for the diagnosis of POTS. The only consistent diagnostic criteria is a rise in HR of at least 30/min or to more than 120/min within 10 mins of head-up tilt. Some sources said that there were elevated catecholamines but most didn't mention them at all. When I was diagnosed it was based purely on symptoms and my tilt table test and I didn't even have my catecholamines measured.

Flop

Im pretty sure the guys at the Baker Institute in Melbourne thought that POTS has more to reduction in NET reuptake at the synapes which may not translate to increased Catecholamines in the blood or reduced levels of NEs metabolite.

While in a study I think i had elevated catecholamines - or really just norepinephrine, others in the study didnt yet we all had reduced Norepinephrine transporter through three different tests. (Vein biospy, heart reuptake scan and hypermethylation marker) -

Thank you, thank you all so much! It has been stressfull for me to think all these years I could have had another process going on. As it was, I was misdiagnosed with the POTS for 8 years blaming all my disabling symptoms on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Despite the brilliance of this Cardiologist, he obviously is not versed in dysautonomia to a great depth despite speaking with a knowledge of it.

Thanks for the link Rachel!

Patricia