Slightly Abnormal Ekg?

jbrian00

I felt so bad yesterday with high heart rate and couldn't settle down, developed a headache and hands started tingling...so I ended up going to the ER. They mentioned I had a slight abnormality on my ekg. Apparently 4 out of every 10 t-waves were inverted. Also the first blood sample they drew was borderline high on some enzyme test (possibly to test for heart attack?), so they drew again and second test came back normal.

Just wondering if anyone else has had slighly abnormal ekgs? I'm 25 years male!

Thanks,

James

Yep, to abnormal EKG's. Usually during periods of tachy- even if I'm not having it at the time of the EKG. It's like my heart won't settle down. No to the enzyme problem. In your case, I'd definately follow up with a cardiologist- considering that both were abnormal.

Julie

T waves on an ECG (EKG) often become inverted if the heart is under strain (they show up in some people having acute chest pain). However having T waves inverted in some leads is normal, and in further leads is a normal variation for young males (especially if of slim build).

I'm not sure if "four out of ten T-waves" means between the different leads four had inversions or if that during 10 t-waves on one lead 4 were inverted? You would need to show the ECG to a doctor or other health professional who is used to interpreting ECGs regularly.

Cardiac enzyme blood tests are done to look for signs of damage to the heart muscle. They are a very very sensitive test and can become borderline elevated for lots of reasons - one of which is having a run of fast tachycardia.

The two things may turn out to be "normal" for you but best to get checked out by a cardiologist who can look at all the information and explain it to you.

Hope you're feeling a bit better and I haven't terrified you with my limited explanation.

Flop

PS - my ECG is slightly abnormal too, I have some T-wave inversions that would not normally be there in a female of my age, some inverted p-waves, and an axis deviation but my cardiologist tells me that they are all "normal variations" and not to worry about them (it does freak out some junior emergency doctors though if I go to A&E - I tell them to get my old notes and compare them with my old ECGs).

Edited by flop

ditto to what others have said.

as flop mentioned, a heart that is very tachycardic and especially for prolonged periods, can both cause T wave abnormality, either flattening or inverted (generally these are nonspecific whereas ST depression is indicative more of heart ischemia (lack of oxygenated blood) AND also slight abnormalities in cardiac enzyme draws.

I have had both T wave flattening and T wave inversion during periods of high tachycardia, but have never had a positive lab.

good luck to you. i hope you are feeling better.

I have inverted T waves on most of my ecgs. I also have other minor abnormalities. I have two ep cardiologists, one who specializes in autonomic stuff, and one who doesn't but is just awesome. Neither are at all worried about my T and S/T abnormalities--both are more worried about my occasional episodes of sustained high blood pressure, as well as the very low pressure.

Nina

Guest tearose

Yes, abnormal is my normal.

P and T wave abnormalities. PVC, Axis deviation, incomplete bundle branch block.

I got so sick on BB's they thought about a pacemaker. I do much better on no medication and using compression and electrolytes.

what were your heart rates?

My hearts rates were about 120 sitting and 150 standing during my episode. I had my heart tested back in 2005 and it showed the same t-wave inversions. I had tachycardia then too, which they called a panic attack. I remember back in high school (I'm 25 years old now), my ekgs for my physical came back abnormal and saw a cardiologist who performed a stress test and confirmed everything was ok. And that was years before my POTS symptoms started. So I hope they are just "normal for me". A cardiologist here is finally having me wear a 48 hour holter and had an echo yesterday. So hopefully everything will check back ok again.

By the way after my episode I started toprol (12.5mg in the morning), and haven't had a tachy surge like that since. So I'm feeling a little better which it. My PCP said 12.5mg probably wouldn't do any good, but what does he know lol? Seems to be making a difference.

James