Antioxidants Help Memory

masumeh

Hi all!

Just wanted to share something anecdotal that my doctor recommended also... I've had major memory problems since about the 4th year of having POTS (now passing 6 yr mark). Midodrine helps loads. But I cannot tolerate it very much any more. My doc recommended blue berries, almonds, oceanic fish, egg whites, and mushrooms to boost my memory. I was skeptical, but it actually worked! Especially the blueberries.

I ate a lot of blueberries and fish while in VA this summer, and my memory got much better. In fact, I felt better overall. I can't eat them now because I'm back in KSA and they're not availible here. So I had the memory problems creeping up again after I ran out of Odwalla antioxident bars (I packed like 30 with me when I left VA). Now I found Flax Seed Oil capsules and Cranberry capsules at the health store here...they both have antioxidant power, so I tried it and it is also helping. I feel more "together" mentally. And my energy and mood are better too.

I'm not sure if this would work for others. But it seems clear that the antioxidants are an important part of my improved memory, since when I run out it quickly reverts to serious memory problems (recall difficulty).

Great to hear you found a way to improve your memory.

I too try to eat more antioxidants. Sorry you can't keep the formula that worked for now.

I started to take Co Q10 (200mg and up to 400mg if feeling weak) a month ago and although the "lost" memory did not return, I feel I am concentrating better and have improved short term memory. Can you try Co Q10?

best regards,

tearose

I feel the same way about blueberries. I try to have them everyday, usually in protein shakes. Can you get them frozen? I think my vitamin supplements have been some of the most helpful things I have taken as well (B complex, fish oil, coq10, magnesium, etc). Glad that you found something that helped and hope you can get some more blueberries! :)

• 7 months later...

Old thread sorry, but I just wanted to mention incase you ever return that antioxidants may increase the bioavailability of nitric oxide - which can be very beneficial for Low Flow POTS patients who experience symptoms as a result of reduced nitric oxide bioavailability due to increased angiotensin II

Worked dramatically for me too- for a while at least. When I was taking turmeric (highly antioxidant) my cognitive skills/memory/and overall energy increased significantly. I ended up having an allergic reaction to the turmeric and had to stop. Wonder if another super antioxidant would prove as helpful???