Reduce Stress......yeah Right

maryfw

You know the doctors always tell you to reduce stress. Unless you stop living some things are unavoidable. My 18 year old son joined the Marines and left for boot camp this past week. I pray for him many times a day and that helps but as a Mom you are going to worry. I am very proud of my son and sad and worried all rolled up into one big ball of emotions.

Mary

Mary,

I was an Air Force wife, please take comfort in the fact that your son will be among the finest people that this nation has to offer. As hard as that life is, he will have the full support of his fellow soldiers and most of their families. Please accept my gratitude to you, and for your son for his service. Please try not to worry ( I have two children, I know it is impossible) as dangerous as the military can be, just living at all can be perilous: I worry every day that my son may have an anaphylactic reaction in the cafeteria at school and die. Keep in touch with him by phone, email, or old-fashioned letters. Support him when he gets down. Take joy in every moment you spend together and try not to worry; you've raised an eagle...let him fly!

Jennifer

Thank you. I am very proud of him. He has been an adrenalyne junkie all his life and i know God made him that way for a reason and he will not be happy unless he is doing something like the military or something like it with his life. Prayer helps. The hardest part is that I cant pick up the phone and talk with him right now. I do take comfort that he is in God's hands and also the Marines will take good care of him in boot camp.

mary

Oh Mary,

You and your son will be in my thoughts and prayers. What a brave little boy you've raised. I was a Navy wife for 10 years and I will echo Firewatcher's words of comfort. Your fellow is among the best our country has to offer. And, I also thank him for his service.

One of my brothers just returned from Iraq. While preparing for him to leave, I actually wondered if I could even breathe :) , much less watch the news, while he was gone. I was fine when he left. He was able to call, E-mail, write, etc. often and that really helped. I know basic training is a little different. It'll soon be over and you'll be able to stay in better contact.

In the meantime, send your prayers good thoughts, care packages, etc. You've raised him well and prepared him for this stage of his life. Trust in him. Take good care of yourself as all of this worrying can be d-r-a-i-n-i-n-g! Be sure to let us know how he's doing.

Big hugs-

Julie

Mary,

Your son will be in my thoughts and prayers during his brave journey with the Marines.

All of my brothers spent time in the military. One in the Navy, one in the airforce, and one in the army.

The one in the airforce was in for 20 years.

Today we have such great technology that you will be able to communicate with your son more often they they used to. when my brother Joe was in the navy during the 70s there was very little.

Your son is doing a great thing serving our country.

Lots of Hugs,

Maxine :0)

He has called twice. Both with not good news. The first was that his knee popped out of place while running so he is in a rehab unit right now until his knee gets stronger. He called yesterday saying that his bp was a little high (138/95)............I think he really has POTS and also thought he might have had an asthma attack. I dont think he really had an asthma attack but they are keeping a close eye on him. Any of these could cause him to be sent home. I pray for him every day throughout the day that his dream will not be taken from him. His father and I both have health issues and dont want to see our Son's dream taken away.

mary

Oh no, not the news you wanted to hear! I guess the "good" news is that he's sidelined for now while he recovers and it sounds like he's receiving good medical care. I bet his BP is high because he's raring to go & his body is holding him back :-) How heartbreaking not being able to readily comfort him. You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted!!!

Julie

I've heard frinds in the UK military say that some of the best training they got was whilst in a rehab troop. They have excellent sports-medicine doctors and they are often taught how to strengthen and protect joints which minimizes the chance of injury later on in their training.

Best wishes to both of you!

Flop

I spoke with my son's recruiter today because of the letter we finally got from our son last night. Our son mailed us a letter that he might be sent home because of his bp and bp meds etc. He was very upset and afraid he was being sent home. I thought he said in the letter that they had put him on bp meds. Well this letter was mailed almost a week ago. The recruiter actually spoke to him this morning and he is doing well. HE IS NOT ON BP MEDS AND HIS BP WAS ONLY UP ONCE AND ONLY UP SLIGHTLY. the recruiter said the climate change and also standing for such long period of times can do that. He will take his initial strength test on Sat and go into a regualr unit on Monday. The recruiter scolded him to be more clear in his letters so I dont worry so much. I am soooooooooooooo relieved!!!!!!!!!!

mary

I'm glad the news is good, but I hate the stress this has to be causing you. I would be a nervous wreck. I'm sure your son is showing a very brave face to his comrades and saving all of the griping for Mom. Too scary as you can't easily do a reality check. He is in my prayers during this difficult time. How much longer till basic is over?

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

That'll be some hug!!!! I'm happy that he'll soon be home. I'm sure that once he is, his BP will be back to normal in no time.

I'm not sure how your son is feeling about things, but this is really a win-win. He had a good taste of basic training. If he decides it isn't for him, he can walk away. If he's eager to get back, he knows what to expect and how to better prepare himself. That should help with the anxiety and BP.

When my husband was training to be a Navy pilot, one of his colleagues developed high BP. At that time, Navy pilots weren't allowed to take medication. He worked with someone to use biofeedback to lower his BP. He would run around his apartment, holding a thermometer, raising and lowering the temperature of his hand by several degrees at his will. He learned to control his BP without meds. Just a thought.

Enjoy your reunion!!!

Julie

Well, he is coming home next week. He is borderline hypertensive. Good news is that he can try to go back if his bp goes back to normal which I think it will when he comes home.

I will be happy to see him.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

My son will be home tomorrow morning. I will be so happy to see him. The good news is he can re-enlist if he chooses too and as early as one month but he said he will not consider it until after the holidays...........not going to miss all that good food. In spite of it all he said he had some really good experiences and we will just be so happy to get him home tomorrow.

mary