Mestinon Starting Dose

Jacquie802

Hi,

My neuro. has started me on Mestinon 15 mg twice a day, one in the am, then one in the pm. I have to cut the 60mg tablet into 4's. Just wondering if thats a normal starting dose for POTS. Also, any side effects at that dose?

Thanks,

Jacquie

There's another post on Mestinon somewhere in here. I started on 60mg, 3 times a day. But I couldn't tolerate even one day. I stopped after the second dose. My POTS doc said it's only effective 20% of patients, a very low success rate. So he wasn't surprised and said that we'd better let it alone.

Hope your experience is better. Some others posted previously that they started on small doses and tappered up.

Good luck!

Hi Jacquie -

Are you still seeing Dr. Novak or are you at the BI now? Dr. Novak has me on mestinon and right now I'm on 20mg/20mg/15mg..building slowly. I started out higher but didn't do well and I hated breaking the pills into smaller doses so I take the liquid form. Originally he wanted me to get to 60mg 3/day as that was the "normal" dose but I didn't fare well with starting @ 30mg. I do find that it helps - particularly when I'm having a really bad day I notice a difference on it.

Oh and as a side note to GI side effects - for me they are welcome since I have constipation issues. But I do notice that everytime I increase my dose I get some looser stools and go more often for a couple of days and then it settles down.

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies. I am at BI now since Dr. Novak left Boston Medical. I see Dr. Freeman and he is great so far. I go back next week to have some more blood work done to check my ganglion antibodies, not sure what its called exactly. I do have severe nausea alot so I hope this med wont bother that.

Do you know what symptoms Mestinon is supposed to relieve??

Jacquie