Do You Pass Out (or Almost Pass Out) When You Give Blood?

lalalisa

Hello,

Since I've had POTS I often pass out or almost pass out when I'm giving blood. I haven't ever liked needles but thought it would be interesting to hear from you guys. Is this common? The only conclusion I can come to is that my blood is already so low that a slight drop sends me into this state.

What are your experiences?

Before POTS I did pass out once but now it's frequent and to the point that I will never again give blood unless I'm lying down. (I try to be "tough" and sit and it backfires)

Thanks,

Lisa

By "giving blood" do you mean having a blood test (samples for medical reasons) or donating blood (I wouldn't advise anyone with dysautonomia to donate blood)?

If you mean having a few tubes taken for testing, then no I don't have any problems having this done (in fact I had a blood test this morning with no problems).

Flop

Hi Lisa,

If you want to read about what happens big time read 'Willows son crashed 4th July' , my poor son has never had problems with needles or blood teats until around 2001 when his POTS symptoms suddenly got worse, he'd had glandular fever and I think it just kicked his POTS in big time , poor lad.

His reactions to having an injection , blood tests or anything like this is extreme to say the least . And the nurse who looked ..............and I say this with a black look on my face , looked after him on the 28th of this month when he had over 9 blood test within a few minutes of each other .............well this so called caring male nurse should go back to nursing school or leave the caring profession he's working in , because caring he was not !

Willows.

Hello,

Sorry, I should've clarified, I meant just having a blood test done. As you mentioned I already have low blood volume and should/would never give blood.

Thanks,

Lisa

I've never had a problem with having blood drawn for a test--but before I knew that I had dysautonomia, I did donate blood two time, and was horribly ill both times. I passed out the first time, I was in high school (16 y.o.) and was donating for a classmate who'd had a terrible car accident and had no insurance and had used many, many units of blood which we all donated to allay some of his bills--and the second time, I managed to stay conscious but had to take the day off from work afterward (I was only 20 years old or so, so my body bounced back faster).

Hi Lisa

Having a blood test done has been terrible for me. Near passing out and feeling sick for hours afterwards: nausea, dizzy, fast heart rate, breathless...

I guess I have a low blood volume too, besides POTS and (now I know) adrenal insufficiency.

I recommend having the blood test done while lying down and drinking plenty of water the day before and after the test (adding electrolytes to the fluids).

Control bp and hr after the test and if your bp is too low, you might ask for IV fluids.

That?s what I am doing now and things have improved. I do not feel dizzy anymore during and after the test. (because lying down makes an important change to it)

Love,

Tessa

Except for when I had my TTT the only times I ever actually did pass out was during blood tests when they took more than a few vials. The nurses would always assume I was just squeamish no matter how many times I told them I wasn't. I could give myself a needle without no problem and can watch others getting needles just fine. They never seemed to believe me though and always told me to just look away. The first time it happened I was laying in bed with scarlet fever and they were taking blood for testing. I got nauseaus, sweaty, and faint. I was only 8 or 9 at the time. I am pretty sure I've have dysautonomia since I was little. Another time I passed out so completely the nurse told my mom I wasn't breathing. Scary. Now I avoid having large amounts drawn at once and I would never consider donating blood. That would be the death of me! LOL!