Monarch Butterfly

MightyMouse

Thank Sophia, It's one of the decent shots I've managed to get while learning how to use my new camera. With some help from my grandmother and my second job teaching college, I saved up and got a DSLR from Cannon--the Rebel XTi. It's probably way more than I need in a camera, but it's been fun learning, if not frustrating.

Nina

Last Christmas I got money for clothes but got a NikonD40 instead! ;)

It has autofocus (All I can use with my eyesight) and it was now IMPOSSIBLE for me to take clear film photos even with glasses on and a diopter. I almost got the Rebel but got the Nikon as it felt better and my hands and the menu was less convoluted for my brain.

Now if I could only learn Photoshop 2.0 to make layers and make truer b&W photos...digital B&W can't TOUCH FILM but as you can see, has excellent color content.

I understand the frustration but no film to develop and scream over a bad roll of film, lol.

;)

Good luck learning more.

Your photo brings back wonderful memories, and makes me wish I'd taken pictures of the days when ....... !

When I was teaching grades 1 - 2, before school began I'd collect, from milkweed plants, 4 - 5 monarch caterpillars of varying sizes. I was never able to find an egg.

I'd collect the leaves of the milkweed plant so the caterpillars would have their only source of food. After that the children would bring in fresh leaves every day. These caterpillars never stop eating. Each one had its own huge jar with holes in the top of the lid.

We watched as the caterpillars grew big and fat. Then, if we were lucky, we'd watch as they attached themselves to the top of the container. They twisted and turned and in doing so created the beautiful green chrysalis around themselves. I said. 'if we were lucky' because this usually happenee at night. Mother Nature was in charge all the way.

When the chrysalis became clear and we could see the butterfly, all scrunched up inside, we'd watch as the butterfly began to wiggle. The chrysalis would split and the butterfly would pump its wings until they were strong and ready for flight.

We'd put it outdoors on a flower and hoped that nature would take it on the next part of its journey.

The males had a black spot on each of their bottom wings and, to the boys delight, there were always a lot more male than female.