Eyes Dilated All The Time/pupillary Dysfunction

jbrian00

Does anyone seem to have pupillary dysfunction where your eyes seem always dilated even in the presence of light when they should be constricted?

If so, how do you deal with it? I always have to use sunglasses when outside in sunlight, and I am testing out "indoor sunglasses" that reduce glare when watching tv and on the computer, etc...

Thanks,

James

James,

I only get that in my right pupil. It's always more dialated than my left, especially in the shade/dark.

I don't really do anything about it, though. But it does make me look weird at times.

Cam

I was wondering what meds you are on.

"The smooth muscles of the iris. The sphincter muscle is innervated by cholinergic fibers to muscarinic receptors. Its contraction under the influence of an agonist results in miosis, and its blockade by atropine results in mydriasis. The radial muscle is innervated by adrenergic fibers to an alpha-1 receptor. Its contraction by an agonist results in mydriasis and its blockade results in miosis."

anti cholinergics, atropine like meds, and adrenergic meds are not uncommon to us as a group.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Erpsmith/Cholin...ansmission.html

besides that Pupillary dysfunction , is listed at 3.3% as a symptom of POTS.

http://www.potsplace.com/

Contraindications -Cymbalta

The following contraindications are listed by the manufacturer:[citation needed]

* Hypersensitivity - duloxetine is contraindicated in patients with a known hypersensitivity to duloxetine or any of the inactive ingredients.

* Monoamine oxidase inhibitors - concomitant use in patients taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors is contraindicated.

* Uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma - in clinical trials, Cymbalta use was associated with an increased risk of mydriasis (dilation of the iris); therefore, its use should be avoided in patients with uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, in which mydriasis can cause sudden worsening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine

I don't know if I have dysfunction, but my pupils have always been large and I am hypersensitive to glare and bright lights. I have Rx sunglasses that are double-dipped in tinting solution so that they are twice as dark as normal lenses. I find that I tend to close the hypersensitive eye. The opthamologist loves me because my pupils open so far, it takes a loooonnnngggg time to get my vision back after they dilate my eyes. I also tend to wear the sunglasses inside if there are florescent lights. I always figured it was a nocturnal thing since my circadian rhythm is out of sync.

Jennifer

I wear my sunglasses at night (when I drive.)

It cuts down the glare and lessens any eye-strain. My boyfriend tried this, after making fun of me for it, grumble, and found that it really helped him. He gets migraines from glare and sometimes can't drive at night because of it. Now we both wear our sunglasses! It's awesome. Just have to be careful of drivers without their lights on.... :angry:

Also his left pupil doesn't dilate and was told that people with migraine headaches have some degree of pupillary dysfunction and that was normal. Maybe the pupillary thing is related to migraines?

Sara

very interesting about the Cymbalta contraindictions. I don't think I have any glaucoma or anything. But I've noticed this prior to being put on any meds and before I became symptomatic, so it could just be something I was born with or developed early on for whatever reason. I've been having eyestrain and fatigue and red eyes while working on computers (after all I'm a computer science major), so I finally realized I am hypersensitive to glare also.

By the way I don't know about driving with regular sunglasses. That could be dangerous. There are glasses out there that filter UV, blue light, and all of that that also reduce glare without dark coatings. Mine have an amber tint and are meant for indoor use and driving under low-light conditions.

Thanks,

James

James,

I just remembered, there are amber-colored glasses called blue-blockers that are made to cut glare from TV and computers. They are supposed to reduce eyestrain. I had a neighbor that wore them all the time. I found the yellow tint made me nauseated, probably another migraine thing too. Look them up, they may help.

Jennifer

Maybe see an opthamologist and see what they say. Make sure there is not something going on that you are not aware of or that can be corrected or helped by treatment. What you describe is all controlled by the ANS and it seems that it is not uncommon to have these symptoms with dysautonomia. Some eye drs. that others have mentioned on the board are actually quite aware of autonomic dysfunction and the impact on the eyes, and what may or may not be able to be done. So, try seeing an opthamologist, not optometrist, and see what they say.