I've Started College -- Class Of ????

Eillyre

Just a quick note for all of you out there who've been following my progress:

I was able to get through my first college course without too much trouble. The commute and class time was no problem (thank you for Adderall!), and once I got through the first week's innundation of homework, I was fine. It helped to keep myself about 1 day ahead so if I had less energy one night, I didn't have to lose sleep.

For those of you looking for colleges that are "POTS/CFS disability-friendly", I've been very pleased with my treatment at Rutgers University-New Brunswick. My disabilities coordinator has carefully documented my requests and spoken with me about them in detail, even asked about things I didn't bring up: "Will you need to be in an air-conditioned building in summer?", "Will regular student parking and/or bus transportation be too taxing or do we need to get you a special parking permit?", etc.

At my request, they let me do placement testing and academic advising over 3 days in a quiet room instead of cramming it all into one long day with the rest of the students. The academic dean has all of the info from my disabilities coordinator and called me a few times to make sure that my schedule of Fall class days/times was not problematic, etc. She even told me not to worry about letting them know how long I would need to study part-time because "we don't want you to do too much too soon and burn-out." It has been so blissfully stress-free to deal with them and without demands for extensive documentation either (although they know that I can provide it! :) ).

I'll keep you posted!

Angela