Gi Doc Visit - Testing Questions

ironsc

Heylo!

Ok, so... today I paid a visit to another new doc for my GI issues that the other doc's thought were weird and not explainable by POTS. He didn't know a thing about POTS, but I gave him the quick run down on the mechanisms responsible for causing the symptoms, and my other diagnoses. He freaked, to put it lightly.

So now a simple Flexible Sigmoidoscopy and EGD was turned into World War III. He wants the procedure done in the hospital, with a general anesthesiologist present at all times, and to be around nurse staff. He also wants to put me out completely, rather than the normal mildly sedated. He's also doing both procedures at the same day, while I'm out.

This is all supposed to happen in two weeks, so I'm getting very nervous. I tried to convince him not to do all this, but he was adamant. I guess some of the things I mentioned to him were giant red flags, it all went so fast.

I was also supposed to take two enemas of some kind of ... cleaner dissolver thingie for the other end test in two weeks (90 minutes before going in). I screamed. A lot. With much arm flailing. I opted, instead, to do the prep for the full colonoscopy - the 24 hour fast with the EvacuBlast (Newlite?) liquid. Probably not the best thing to do, considering the POTS, but I was under enough anxiety for one day.

With all that said, are there any questions I should ask the anesthesiologist, or things I should bring up? Anything I should prepare for when it's done (after being sedated), like worse than normal fatigue or feinting for a few days? Please share your experiences and knowledge so I can go into this mentally prepared. I get very worried and nervous when in unknown situations like this.

Thanks and hugs,

Cameron

p.s. I still think he's over-reacting, which is making me over-react! *breaths heavily into a bag* ;):blink:

I am sorry you have to go through all of this.

I think, though, you have a very astute GI doctor.

In June, I had an endoscopy and colonscopy. I stayed in the hospital the night before so that I could get IV fluids during the prep. An anesthesiologist with an assistant interviewed me extensively before the procedure and they administered the anesthesia. It wasn't twilight sleep; it was a general anesthetic that wore off quickly. I wish I remembered the name of it. I went home that afternoon and even went to the store on the way home.

Be thankful you have a doctor who takes things seriously!

Good luck!

Lois

I am curious as to what types of GI problems you have. I have alot of stomach involvement with my POTS episodes.

Well, on the top side, I can't swallow anything small (pills) without a large amount of food to push it down. I get "collisions" in my esophagus, where it feels like my first bite of food collides with acid that's coming up (or just plain stops going down). It gets stuck and hurts a lot, and I usually take small sips of water to finally push it down - it will stay stuck if I don't push it down, or may even come back up with a lot of pain. Even then, it takes a while for something to hit my stomach after I swallow. I constantly regergitate my food for hours after eatting, or acid if nothing was ate (water if I drink water and/or take tums). And I have a chronic cough that nothing has been able to explain, yet, and it gets worse with the more acid I regergitate. The "other" side just has normal IBS-like symptoms with a probable fissure, so nothing bad. It'll probably be something simple and easiely remedied.

I did remember reading another person's experience with the colonoscopy prep, and I know to stay hydrated as best as possible. Thankfully, I have hypertension, so I shouldn't be as affected from it all (I hope). But I still worry about getting put out for it all.

I'll bring a little sticky note with exactly everything the interviewer general ane-person needs, so I don't studder trying to think of the words. And a phone number for my Neuro, too.

Sounds like it won't be bad at all, from Goldicedance's experience. Thanks for calming my nerves. :)

Thanks,

Cam

Be glad the GI cares enough to hospitalize you. I've tried & failed 3 colonoscopy preps & dr won't hospitalize me. I have hypoglycemia & can't go 24 hrs w/o eating. The more I drink the lower my glucose gets. What they were going to give me for sedation was Deprivan/Propoful. It's an anesthesia that wears off quickly. I was told the prep is easier on you if you eat lightly for 2 days b/4 the prep. No seeds, fiber, red meat etc. Good luck!

I was told the prep is easier on you if you eat lightly for 2 days b/4 the prep. No seeds, fiber, red meat etc. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, Alicia! I'll keep it light the day before the fasting.

I guess it is a good thing it'll be in a hospital, and it's not terribly over-reacting on his part. Just mine. :lol:

I think after it's done, I'll go get my favorite meal at the local deli. :)

Thanks,

Cam

"I screamed. A lot. With much arm flailing."

Cameron,

Even in describing a stressful situation, your humor in your writing voice is lovely. :) Do you blog? You should. It's (another) place to vent your frustrations.

I had an endoscopy (tube goes down the other end instead of up the, well...) back in April due to on-going acid reflux issues despite treatment. I was put completely asleep as well, as opposed to just being sedated. I was whacked out nervous, too. Terrified of the anesthesia. Did you receive a questionnaire to fill out for the anesthesiologist? If not, I think you should have. Maybe they will have you fill out something just before the procedure, or perhaps they will ask you questions before the procedure. In any case, I think you should bring up things like brady or tachycardia (which I'm assuming you have, like most of us) and/or sensitivity or allergies to any drugs.

Although I'm not a doctor, I feel fairly comfortable telling you that everything will be okay. I was okay, and like I said, I was terrified as well. In the end, I was proud of myself for being brave and going through with it, which is more than I can say for the girl next to me in the prep area before I went in for the procedure; she had a big ol' hissy fit and they didn't do her procedure, they sent her home. BIG hissy fit.

Everyone involved with me was super nice, and the procedure went fine. I woke up running my mouth, chatting up the nurses. lol.

You'll be fine.

Good luck!

Amber

Guest tearose

I think the quote says it all. "rather be safe than sorry". There is only one of you and so you will be in a good environment.

I will send you more good luck wishes when the date arrives.

best regards,

tearose

You two, Amber & tearose, are absolutely right. Everyone's right, even! Thanks for calming my nerves over this - you're right about "better safe than sorry".

And I promise not to throw a hissy-fit, Amber. Well, during the hospital part, atleast. I reserve the right to throw a hissy-fit at the gallon of NuLYTELY (or however much I get) I have to down on the 11th. I better have reading material available, and lots of it.

Here's to an uneventful and boring day on the 12th. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone!

Cam