Vasovagal Hypoglycemia

gertie

Has anyone heard of this or have info on it? All I can find on it is that the vasovagal response may be the trigger of hypoglycemia is dyt patients. I have sensitive vegas nerve w/ vasovagal syncope & wonder if it may be related to my low blood sugar. I would like to know more. Thanks.

I found this on Pub Meb

Hypoglycemia as a possible factor in the induction of vasovagal syncope.

Salins PC, Kuriakose M, Sharma SM, Tauro DP.

A.B.S.M. Institute of Dental Science, University of Manglore, India.

Glucose level was estimated in capillary blood of 16 patients, who had vasovagal syncope during exodontia with local anaesthesia. One consistent finding was the low blood sugar level in all patients during syncope, as compared with the level 1 hour after recovery. Hypoglycemia can be induced by parasympathetic activation; this may be the product of reflex conditioning. Modest lowering of blood sugar levels can also act in synergy with hypotension and hypocapnea to induce loss of consciousness. Psychogenic syncope may be mediated through a mechanism involving hypoglycemia. Reflex conditioning perhaps accounts for the small but consistent fraction of the adult population who have repeated fainting episodes.

Med scape has some articles according to google, but I don't know how to access med scape.

Hi,

I guess it could be, but from my understanding for most dysautonomics is that the hypoglycemia reaction comes more either from an adrenaline surge, that has a cascading affect on many other things including HR, BP, and blood sugar, or more of a misfiring autonomic response resulting from autonomic neuropathy.

For the most part I do not really think that the vagus nerve has any direct affect on the blood sugar. I suppose though if it is triggering abnormal cardiac responses etc. that then a hypoglycemic response could ultimately occur due to the body needing more energy and hormones etc. being out of whack.

I am not a dr., and am not sure if that made sense, but that is my attempt to put my understanding in words. :)

Good luck and maybe try to discuss it with your dr. A neurologist may be the most helpful. :)