HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's more likely that it's some sort of GI infection than a symptom of dysautonomia. Some people do report having bouts of diarrhea--but even so, I don't recall any of them reporting being unable to get to the bathroom in time. Not out of the realm of possibility that it's autonomic--just less likely than a more common issue like an infection.

I have had salmonella twice and lost bowl control with both infections--I never had a fever, nausea, or vomitting either time. Other than the control issue, I had no other outward symptoms.

Diagnosis of some GI infections need to be done via a fecal culture--that includes testing salmonella, which is enteric -- that means it does not cross the blood barrier into your body, it just infects your gut. There are numerous organisms--including most of the foodborne ones--that can cause anything from mild stomach upset that just lasts a few hours to major issues.

If your neuro isn't able to help with your issue, perhaps a gastroenterologist, or even your general practioner could be of assistance?

Nina

Hello,

Oh how sorry I am to hear that you have had this also..

I have had it happen ..Man was I scared, I had never had this happen and wasn't sure what was going on...I have a very weak bladder.... <_< Maybe because I've had so many kids..But never messed my self until I was plagued with POTS.

I have only experienced it 3 times in 2 years...If that helps any,,And another thing that I should tell you is ...New medications are what had caused it to happen to me on all 3 occasions...Might have just thrown my system way out of it's normal pots

range..I would tell your Dr. though..And keep track of dates and so on ...Maybe you will pick up on a pattern...Hope this helps...And hope it stops..We have enough crap to deal with...If you know what I mean..

Good luck w/ your MRI. I've had many--and have had two surgeries for my stenosis at C5-6...I also have stenosis higher, but it's not something anyone would dare address surgically unless I became completely unstable.

Hope you're feeling better quickly. Nina

My husband has NCS. When my husband's symptoms were the worst, he experienced loss of both bowel and bladder control on several occasions prior to diagnosis and treatment. Somewhere I have an article that lists this loss of control as one of the symptoms of NCS but I was not able to find it this morning. I think of it as another pre-syncope symptom, where you are not getting enough oxygen to the brain so some of the auxilliary functions shut down to conserve and protect the brain. I'll keep looking for the article.

Ann,

I have had this happen to me once and it has been since I was diagnosed. I also have symptoms of IBS, which my doctor says it is part of this and gave me medication to take before I go out to a cafe. Right after I eat I have to go, this happens probably one out of every three times, it is really frustrating when you are out of your home.

Paige

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your responses! They said it was not spinal cord, so I wonder if it is a nerve problem. I was unable to feel the sensation of "going" yet, later I could feel the sensation for a normal bathroom break. I don't know what it is, but at least I know it happens to other people too!

Thanks,

Ann

Guest Julia59

I remember when my Aunt lost control once on her way home from the Grocery store. It was odd, because she didn't even feel it coming. She ended up crashing into a tree. Thankfully there were no injuries---just very embarrassed. Unfortunately at the hospital they did a C-scan and found a tumor---or several small ones at the base of her brain and brain stem.. An MRI showed a much bigger tumor that was wrapped completely around her brain stem.

I know a lot of people can lose bowel control for so many reasons. It actaully saved my Aunt. She had surgery and lived another 10 years. She stroked during the surgery because it was over 10 hours long. She was disabled, but lead a nice life with the support of the family after her surgery. She still had a portion of the tumor left because they couldn't get to it. She had the surgery in Cincinnatti, because no one in Toledo could do it. She was an amazing woman with a beautiful attitude.

I know when I went to both surgeons, they asked if I have ever lost control of bowels. I'm always the opposite. But on rare occasions with loose bowels---it's difficult to control---probably normal for anyone.

I think if I didn't feel it coming---and it just happens, then I would check for a neuro problem as a possible cause. The brain stem and upper cervical spine controls the bowels. I know someone else who loses control all the time. They found out it was loss of muscle tone in that area.

Julie :0)