Anesthesia

jump

I read on this website that people with dysautonomia have to let their anesthesiologists know about their condition before getting anesthesia. Is this true of people with POTS, or only those with other forms of dysautonomia? What is one supposed to tell their anesthesiologist, exactly? I asked my doctor about this and he said it's only a concern for people who have "really severe" autonomic dysfunction, but he also told me that lots of people my age (I'm 27) can't stand up for more than 5 minutes so I don't always trust that he knows a lot about this. What do I need to know, and what can I expect anesthesiologists to already be familiar with?

thanks,

jump

Normal procedure is to have the Dr. treating the POTS write about any needs or concerns to the Dr. ordering the surgery.

The Dr. ordering the surgery (or whatever it is) does know you have POTS, right? I would ask one or the other to make sure the anesthesiologist is aware regardless of any opinion they have on the matter. I feel certain its an important detail and anesthesiologists want "all" the details.

Some of the things it would be useful for your anaesthetist to know might be that your heart rate can go fast or slow, that your BP might go high or low and that it is very important to avoid dehydration so extra IV fluids are often needed. On the main DINET website there is some information about POTS and anaesthesia and some medical journal articles that you could let the anaesthetist know about - several are related to pregnancy but there is one on normal surgery too.

Flop

I would advise to talk with the anestesiologist before you go under. I did, and it made me feel a little more at ease. The main thing is to get the point across that POTS (make sure you tell them what POTS stands for, bc there is a disease called POTTS)affects the blood pressure/pulse. That way they will be sure to monitor it extra carefully and have any necessary medications at an arms lenght. I was scared to death before I had to have anestesia, but it was really no big deal... good luck!

Hello,

I went under general anesthesia last year for sinus surgery. My dr. wrote up something for the anesthesiologist briefly describing POTS and then also adding the importance of extra fluids. If your dr. won't do this as others have suggested speaking with the anesthesiologist would be a good idea.

I was pretty nervous about having a bad reaction to anesthesia but in the end I was fine. I felt "normal" within a couple of days.

Hope all goes well!

Lisa

I talked with the surgeon and the anesthsioligist(sp) before my last surg. They gave me extra fluids and nausea meds.,that really helped and I did pretty well.Don't be afraid to voice any concerns.Best of luck with your surg. Pat

I had MAC (awake anesthesia) to get my port-a-cath in. Piece of cake. For General, I agree that you should visit with your Anesthesiologist before the surgery. Also, I would ask your surgeon who the best one to handle this is and request that Anesthesiologist. I work in an OR and people with special conditions do it all the time. Surgeons love it because they get the best outcomes for their patients and get to work with their favorite Anesthesiologist for the day. You would request the Anes through the OR front office directly.

Hello , I had a complete hysterectomy in January and the anesthesiologist from Lansing was NOT willing to come do the surgery at our Hospital in our little town due to the complications of the POTS plus the sleep apnea. They didnt know alot about it and at that time neither did I (as far as effects of anthesia ) I did awful for the first 3 months after surgery as far as POTS spells. there were days that I didnt even get off the couch but to go potty. Definitely read as much as you can and give all info to your Dr before the surgery