Librax

I was given librax for IBS. I have IBS with constipation & one of the side effects of librax is constipation so I'm hesitant to take it. GI dr thinks it will help the colon cramps & I will be able to eat more foods. Anyone had experience with this med? He seems to be familiar with dysautonomia/P.O.T.S. but so far everything he has prescribed has caused more problems. Thanks.

Hi,

Welcome.

I don't know about Librax. I went to a GI doctor who diagnosed me with IBS without any testing and I asked him if there were meds for IBS and he said no. It's interesting to find out that there is.

Librax contains two different medications one of which is a benzodiazepine chlordiazepoxide. In the UK that benzo is used soley for treating symptoms in people who are withdrawing from alcohol dependance. I've not heard of benzos being used to treat IBS before, have you tried things like lactulose / fybogel / movicol to help with your constipation? Natural helps for constipation include drinking lots of water, avoiding caffinated drinks, lots of fresh fruit and veg and even slightly under-ripe friut (don't eat a lot of under-ripe fruit the first time as you may end up with diarrhoea!). Mebeverine or buscopan are supposed to be helpful for releaving GI cramping pains.

Please note I haven't tried any of the above suggestions myself (I don't have constipation) but they are things that I have heard friends and family talking about using.

I hope you find some relief from your symptoms soon,

Flop

Thanks everyone, I believe the reason for the Librax is the benzo is to calm the nervous system & the other ing is to relax colon. I have tried everything for constipation the fiber making me worse, & some of the other remedies causing allergic reaction. The GI dr thinks C is related to the Dys.

I haven't tried the Librax because I'm concerned it & my migraine/seizure med will be too sedating. You would think dr's would be a little more careful, especially when you tell them you are sensitive to meds.