Ssi

PattiL

Well, I was assuming it would happen, but hoping it wouldn't. She got her denial letter in the mail yesterday. I really thought we had enough information, considering I gave them a 3 ring binder full (and quite organized I must say) full of tests, lab work, hospital visits, etc. Back to the drawing board. I wish I had known about the Disinissues site on Yahoo. But, at least for the appeal I'll have this information and hopefully she'll get approved the second time around!

They contacted all of Chrissy's doctors and received their information also. When everyone says to have a Dr. in 'your corner' just how much does that Dr. have to do? Extra info--what exactly? Do they call them, or is it just written information they would receive?

Patti

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Did you have functional capacity reports filled out by the doctors? Also, do you have an attorney? The SSDI system does not have enough employees to handle the case loads. If you don't do a lot of follow up with both SSDI and your attorney to make sure every medical record relevent to your case is in the file, it ends up more likely you'll be denied.

A lot of people get denied the first two times, and end up getting approved at the hearing level. I also involved both my state senator, and our local congresswoman which I think helped speed up the process a little, but I still had to wait for a hearing----------(I was also denied twice).

I was finally approved last summer based on multiple disabling symptoms from the EDS, POTS, and Spine instability.

The medical expert said I could not handle any kind of gainful employment now, or in the future.

Good luck,

Maxine :0)

The SSDI process can be long, tiring, and confusing. It is hard to know exactly what information needs to be sent in. I remember being so frustrated when my Social Security caseworker told me that I hadn't sent in very much stuff to support my case. I had sent in all of the records I had, and answered every question on the disability application. I remember asking, "What more should I send in? What information do they still need?" I knew that I couldn't work anymore. I had worked until I absolutely couldn't continue, but I didn't know how to prove it on paper.

My case was initially denied. I didn't know what further support I could send in, yet I knew that I couldn't work, so I filed an appeal. I never even had a chance to send in new medical records. The judge made a decision on my case without even having a hearing! I was shocked. I hadn't sent in any more information (other than the form for appeal), but the judge said there was enough there initially, and gave me a fully favorable decision.

Anyway, all that to say, you may have sent in enough information, but were just denied because "everyone" gets denied the first time. But still, you want to make sure that you have plenty of documentation for your case. Send in everything you can (medical records, letters from doctors, statements from friends, etc.). After filing an appeal, you'll get a form to fill out asking about changes in condition, limitations, etc. Answer all of the questions thoroughly, explain limitations and what you can't do, and give specific examples. Once you've done your part, just try to relax and not stress about it.

Hiring an attorney can make the process easier on you. Plus, an attorney will know the system and can give you good advice on what information you need.

I only had one letter from my doctor in my SS file. The rest was my medical records and the forms I filled out.

The Disinissues group you mentioned is a good one. There is a wealth of information there that will help you to know how to fill out the forms, how to explain your disability, etc.

Best of luck.

Rachel