Ibs

Megan

Okay, so lately I've been having some pretty bad abdominal pain (been on vicodin, weening off is driving me nuts with my sensitivity to meds). I had a couple of tests on my gallbladder because that's where my pain is mostly, but I don't have gallstones and my gallbladder is functioning normally. I've noticed some posts lately about abdominal pain and GI issues. I was just wondering how many people have IBS? My symptoms seem to match, and when I was eating all carbs because we thought it was my gallbladder, some of my pain went away, and I think it could be because I was eating whole grains and getting more fiber. So I just wanted to know how many people deal with it, how they deal with it, and the worst symptoms they have from it. I can get a referral to a GI dr, but last time I did that it was before my POTS diagnosis and I got an "it's all in your head." Thanks in advance!

Meg

Like Ernie said-- IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, so it's important that a GI doc at least take a look at you. I had an endoscopy before my diagnosis.

It helped me to take Citrucel fiber with juice once daily, and my stomach is much better behaved on that therapy. I still have flares from time to time, but they are usually milder than they were before. In the past I have had abdominal pain so bad that i was literally crying out for it to stop and curled in a ball on the toilet. The up side to an IBS diagnosis is that with good diet, and regular fiber, my situation did get better.

Hope you can find the answers you are looking for-- I've been battling stomach problems for almost my entire life, so I know how awful it can be.

Kristen

GI problems can also be a legit symptom of Depression and stress. I have a lot of IBS-like problems, but I don't have IBS. For me, the problems are a combination of low motility due to POTS, seasonal depression (obviously this is only an issue in the winter), and stress. When my POTS symptoms are worse (mornings, if I'm not well hydrated, if I'm over-tired, etc) my GI problems are worse. But if I am generally feeling great and I eat an IBS-triggering food (coffee, for example) it doesn't affect me at all (this is how I know it isn't "true" IBS, although IBS is a tough diagnosis anyway, so I'm not even sure "true" IBS even exists). You should definitely see a gastroenterologist (whew I don't know how to spell that), but know that if things are inconclusive, you're not alone. B)

For me, I deal with it by knowing my triggers really well and avoiding them. Like I said, I know anything that triggers my other POTS symptoms will trigger GI problems as well -- so I don't have a hearty breakfast when I wake up early in the morning, for example. On the rare occasions that I have coffee, I drink it in the afternoons. I adhere to the six-small-meals-a-day routine to help with motility (although I'm not totally convinced this really helps). I've learned some exercises that help with motility as well.

Pursue this, though! It's awful to go around with stomach problems and if someone can give you some help, great. If not, be your own detective and try to see what works best for you. I think POTS and IBS often show up together and/or have overlapping symptomology.

good luck,

jump

I've been diagnosed with IBS by my primary care physician, but I think my doctor labelled it that because she's not sure what it really is.

I don't really experience any pain. My worst symptom is "break-through diarrhea." Although, it's not really that. It's a clear, foamy liquid, and I am completely constipated, bloated, and my GI tract is making obnoxious, embarrassing noises at the same time. It occurs within 5 minutes of my eating a triggering food, but I have not determined what specifically triggers it yet. My hunch is it is a type of sugar and/or preservative.

It's uncontrollable and if I can't get to a rest room fast enough... B)

I have episodes after eating lots of different types of food, some of which are triscuits, potato/corm chips, ice cream, oranges, fried foods from Wendy's fast food, and cake from grocery store bakeries. Wierd, huh?

Yeah, I more or less have the IBS diagnosis, but not a thourogh post testing diagnosis of exclusion. I did have an endoscopy and have seen gastroenerologists, but who knows. My neurologist now calls it more of neurogenic bowel (like neurogenic bladder) due to the small fiber neuropathy. It started up after my appendectomy 10 years ago. I see no real rhyme or reason to what happens when, it just doesn't like me! :P