Can Winter affect symptoms?!

NicoleAdia

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with symptoms that flare up with season changes? I'm starting to think my symptom flare patterns have to do with the cold! Ever since the weather changed I've been extremely nauseous (all the time!), dizzy, heart racing, headaches and just general feel way more terrible! Is there anything I can do to help? I've been drinking tons of water/gatorade but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry, but I do not have any suggestions, but I agree with you wholeheartedly!!  The winter has really knocked the socks off my girls, and we live in California!  Change of seasons has always been horrible for them.   Summer to fall and winter to spring are the hardest, but lately we've had a cold snap.  All of you from the Midwest and East, quit laughing:lol:!  Yes, it's been cold, down in the 20's at night.  We aren't used to cold like that, so, therefore, it takes a real toll on the body.  Dry, too.  I've been putting water on the stove with some peppermint oil drops in it to help with some humidity.  Vertigo is worse, POTS is worse, and my oldest has erythromelalgia (blood vessels sporadically dilate too much) and we are looking at yet another trip to the ER to calm the pain.  Hang in there, spring will be here before you know it!  (At least that's what I keep telling myself!)

18 hours ago, Goodr189 said:

I probably don't help in saying this but I am feeling the same way. :/ 

The cold must do something to cause more symptoms, especially in the morning. So much fun waking up with a 120bpm heart rate drenched in sweat and shivering from the cold.

Yep! That sounds familiar!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. I find symptoms worsen in the heat of the summer and the extreme cold of the winter.

I think Katybug is right about the low pressure systems - these cold fronts that come down from up North are trouble.

I also think the dry air makes things worse - it dehydrates me and makes it harder for me to breath at night which compromises sleep. Use a humidifier. 

• 2 weeks later...

I find my symptoms get a lot worse in summer, they're good in fall and spring, and they get a little worse again in winter.

The problem with winter is that there's so little moisture in the air in the sub -30°C weather that I get dehydrated easily. It's also harder to keep active during the winter because I get very cold very quickly due to poor circulation.

It might also have to do with that our bodies aren't good at coping with changes and in winter, we're always stepping from warm indoors to cold outdoors.