I Went To My Gi Doctor Yesterday---he Knows About Eds!

Maxine

The gastroenterologist I saw yesterday was very nice, and made me feel very comfortable. Wow, it's nice to share good experiences------------------I think I deserve a few good ones....... :)

Anyway, he asked about POTS, and he admitted he didn't know about POTS, and asked about it. He was so cool about it, and thankfully he was very punctual, as I had to pick up my 3 year old granddaughter from day care, as we are all trying to help keep the new little one, little Miss Mackenzie at home until she recovers from her pertussis/whooping cough.

Anyway we discussed my films, the CT scan and barium enema. He said I have a LOT----and I mean a LOT of diverticuli in my large intestine, in the middle, and the left portions. He then said I need an upper GI to look at the 3rd, and 4th portions of my duodeum/small intestine again. They can not be seen by colonoscopy, or an endoscopy. There are 4cm diverticuli in the duodeum, and wall thickening found on the CT scan. I have had a couple very bad spells with those diverticuli, and now have inflammation.

I told him I have another condition that he probably hasn't heard of, and he said---"tell me what it is". I told him EDS, and he said, "I know all about EDS", and I was shocked. He said my diverticuli is because of weakened walls in my intestines---and can happen from the EDS----------- :) .

Next Friday I'll be going for an upper GI/small bowel follow through. What a polite doctor, as he actually took me seriously. It looks like some doctors are taking me seriously. I guess it pays to advocate for yourself---- :)

Maxine :0)

Ugggggg-----

Pat57, he likes this PCP I have................or so he said...... <_<

No telling...

My Dad is going to talk to his PCP, and see if he'll take me as a patient.

I'm not going to be treated with disrespect. In fact I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday for a check up. We'll see if he was just having bad days on those days he was rude. If he's rude again, I'm firing him.

Thanks for your support, it means a lot!

10% is about right Ernie, and I know you have experience in that department----- <_<

I'm pretty surprised that the GI doctor knew about EDS-----AND HE'S LOCAL! IMAGINE THAT!

I did not think I would have THAT MANY diverticuli, and he is a bit concerned about the large ones in my duodeum----4mm is big for the small intestine. Even though some people have large diverticuli like that, it does not usually cause problems, but some how mine did---------a couple nasty flair ups, and now wall thickening.

I hope the upper GI shows only subtle changes in regards to the thickening, as I don't think there's much room for more in that area of my small bowel. It will be interesting to see what Dr. McDonnell at the EDS study at NIH thinks.