Automatic Bp Machines-error With Low Bp?

mkoven

Hi,

I have a walgreen's automatic bp cuff. It has no problem getting my sitting bps, which rarely fall below 80/40, but when I try to get a standing bp, at least today, it keeps erroring on me, when it goes below 30. Is this standard? Is there a better brand for measuring low blood pressures? As soon as I sit, and my bp goes up, I can get a reading, so I assume I'm just too hypotensive for it to read???

When it was "higher" today, it was 104/65 sitting, and then dropped instantly to 83/39 standing. (Now I know why I feel bad today). But my new ans doc wanted me to record the numbers, which is hard to do, if you keep getting error messages.

Thanks!

Michele

I bought an inexpensive manual bp cuff--under 10$. My automatic one was giving me problems when I was upright because my bp was too low. It's really easy to learn to take your own bp.

Nina

They have manual ones that you can wrap around your arm by yourself. Very inexpensive, as Nina said. The automatic ones never work with me, because of tachycardia. It will error if my pulse is above 102 or so. Very frustrating indeed. morgan

Also, I have very tiny arms (not to be mistaken with my butt, which is the size of the titanic) and if a cuff doesn't fit properly, the readings will not be accurate.

Hi!

Is it a wrist or an arm cuff? If it is an arm cuff is it bouncing around or stabilized during the reading? Also, make sure it (the machine and your arm) isn't moving around, because that can cause an error. Also, are you pressing the button and then moving or standing up and then pressing the button. Once the button is pressed you have to stay pretty still or it will give an error message. I have relatively good luck with my wrist cuff BP machine. Like others said you could do it manually as well, but I myself would have issues doing this very frequently on myself, with all the cords and required coordination etc. Plus, I think it also interferes with the reliability of the measurement received.

Good luck! :blink: