Going To The Dentist!

crwilbanks

From the onset of POTS for me, chemical sensativity has been an issue. I am not sure about how to handle a dental appt. that will require a crown and build up. I have done my home work and my dentist knows to use a local anesthetic containing a vasoconstrictor of epinephrine. I have considered having it done without anesthetic, is this what I need to do to avoid a reaction? Thanks for any assurance or advice!

I have had several crowns done. The dentist uses Carbacaine, I cannot tolerate lidocaine at all. I have NO problems with it.

It has only a tiny amount of epi so you have more bleeding, but not enough to affect your heartrate or BP.

Dawn

I just went through some much worry about going to the dentist also! I just went 2 weeks ago and had cavities filled. My cardio told me NOT to get the epi. He told me that it makes his heart race and he doesnt even have heart probs! When I went to the dentist he suggested the same. The only problem he told with not using the epi is that I wont be numb for long and require many shots. Boy was he right they only lasted for me about 15-20 minutes tops! I had to have 2 shots just to be numb enough to start and then 1 more during.The only good thing is at least your already numb getting more shots, so not so bad. I was hardly numb by the time I left also. So all in all thats much better than having my heart race! So Just say NO to the epi! Not really sure if you didnt have the epi if it would work good enough for a crown but I would ask the dentist. Hope this helps! Jaie

Hi!

I just wanted to say Welcome to the board to you crwilbanks, and Jaie! I hope you find a lot of good info!

I personally do not have much experience recently with needing these kinds of drugs at the dentist, so I don't have any words of wisdom, but I would figure it would have a lot to do with your current symptoms and treatment.

Good Luck with the dentist! :)

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I had 3 root canals..then 3 crowns done all post POTS. My endodontist and dentist used carbocaine....it does only last a max of 30 minutes so you'll need more than w/regular novacaine. I did fine with it though...you should be fine...the aniticipation is the worst part! :)

From the onset of POTS for me, chemical sensativity has been an issue. I am not sure about how to handle a dental appt. that will require a crown and build up. I have done my home work and my dentist knows to use a local anesthetic containing a vasoconstrictor of epinephrine. I have considered having it done without anesthetic, is this what I need to do to avoid a reaction? Thanks for any assurance or advice!

Hi Dawn,

Just wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences reguarding "dental work". This is the first concern I've shared with the group and I am very thankful I joined! I think the support is genuine and awsome. You and several others have helped give me a little piece of mind about going (this Thurs.afternoon) to the Dentist. Thank you again! I truly hope all is well with you and that you have a great day!

Sincerely,

Cathy

I have had several crowns done. The dentist uses Carbacaine, I cannot tolerate lidocaine at all. I have NO problems with it.

It has only a tiny amount of epi so you have more bleeding, but not enough to affect your heartrate or BP.

Dawn

Hi Jaie,

Thanks for your imput! I am new to the group and I must say the support is awsome and genuine! Hope I can be of help to you someday, take care and have a great one!

Sincerely,

Cathy

I just had a root canal done last week. I'm not sure what my dentist used to numb me, but he's aware of my condition and also what medicines I'm on, so I let him decide that part. I did bleed a little more than "regular" patients, but it was not a big deal otherwise. I still need to have the build up and crown done, but we're waiting on that a little bit. Gotta save up the money! :)

Mary