Two New Diagnosis, And A New Drug

Angelika_23

Hello,

Back from my second visit to Cleveland Clinic. The cardiologist there feels I may be having inappropriate sinus tachy along with my POTS, and wants to try me on a beta blocker, Metoprolol. I was alarmed at first because I am already on Midodrine, but he said it is fine to take them together. Anyone have any experience with this? I am to take 25 mg of Metoprolol a day.

I also got a new 30 day event monitor (at least this one doesn't make me look like a unibreast...)

And, I saw a rheumatologist, and he has diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I don't know a lot about fibromyalgia, so I will have to do some searches on that. New medicine will be along shortly for that too, after the rheumatologist talks to the cardio.

Thanks,

Angela

Midodrine is to plump up the volume in our blood to help raise BP....can often have no effect on HR.

Ok to take Beta blocker with midodrine...many folks have done that for years. It's getting a bb to agree with us. Also a low enough dose to help with HR but not lower BP too much.

I could never tolerate the popular long term once a day dose of ToprolXL. when needed I take baby doses of short acting, propranolol but not in cold weather as it brings on Raynauds like cold to hands and feed.

I have had fibromyalgia for years after first having Chronic Fatigue syndrome (Or originally Adult Chronic Mono dx in 1985 by an immunologist.

Then I started getting pain issues and got the FM dx...

have had also had scads of sleep studies..have documentation of alpha delta sleep, horrible insomnia (we never figured that out but this was pre autonomic diagnosis) I was even on the GHB government study to help the insomnia, alpha delta sleep and FM...it was not a success for me but a few of the doctors pts had GREAT results with the GHB.

That sleep doctor who did the GHB FM study, by the way is close to us ,,,up the road from the mall and just a couple minutes from the intersate. if you would like a sleep study to check if you have alpha-delta sleep, Usually insurance covers sleep studies as sleep apnea is checked the same time.

I am too tired to give info on FM but there is scads of stuff easily found in google searches AND a support group at the hospital close to us as well. :ph34r: PM me if you ever want to attent an FM support group...They meet on a certain Tuesday of the month I think.

My laptop is in the "computer hospital" so I am typing while sitting up and hard for me to think.

Feel free to email or PM me if you want info about the sleep doctor of the FM support group.

Glad you are being taken seriously AND have another holter monitor. I had one years ago and mine did not make me look like the unibreast. :)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi,

Metoprolol is one of many different beta-blockers available. They work by slowing down the heart rate. They can also cause the blood pressure to lower, especially at high doses so you do need to have your heart rate and blood pressure checked to see what effect they have on you. I take a tiny dose of bisoprolol, one of the beta-blocker family.

Midodrine is an alpha-agonist. It works be causing the blood vessels to tighten / contract. By reducing the amount of space in the veins for the blood, it causes the blood pressure to go up. It doesn't have a direct effect on the heart rate but some people find that when their blood pressure is higher their heart rate slows down of its own accord. I take Midodrine along with my Bisoprolol without any problems.

I hope you find the right med combo for your symptoms.

Flop