Licorice Root Question

Sophia3

Ok, I googled this and went through a few threads about Licorice Root.

Recently, my morning BP has been 90 over something or even in the 80's over 50 or high 40's. AND it can be like this in the afternoon and evenings..It will bounce up a bit and of course getting up it will raise a bit...but I have lots of visual dimming or fading and dizzyness but can maintain being up if I MOVE and stomp my feet to get the blood going.

I do not see my ANS doc until April. My sister takes Licorice Root for adrenal support and gave me half a bottle to try..50 pills left. I take 4 a day but it says on bottle two with each meal but since I am sensitive to things, am just tryiing two pills twice a day.

i know it's very similar to Florinef and my doc even said in email it's safe to take as it works like F and helps boost BP and retain sodium.

by the time I get to the end of the bottle, 12 days or so, will I notice a difference you think

I know we are ALL DIFFERENT but just wondered how you all felt with this herb. I forgot to ask my doc in email how long the results of boosting BP might take. :lol:

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi,

I've never taken liquorice root supplements myself (but I do love liquorice flavour and used to chew actual liquorice root as a child - bought from old fashioned sweet shops).

I believe that it is a natural substance that has a fluid and salt retaining property like florinef/fludrocortisone does. I know that florinef takes weeks to slowly improve symptoms and BP so my guess would be that the liquorice supplement may not show results in only 2 weeks.

I know one of the members from Europe (I think it is Tessa) can't get florinef in her country so she uses liquorice drops as medication.

Flop

I take licorice because I could not handle the Florinef. One thing I learned is that there are 2 forms of licorice supplements - glycyrrhizinated and deglycyrrhizinated. The deglycyrrhizinated is not as potent. I started on the deglycyrrhizinated form (Nature's Way I think was the brand) and went very slowly since I am very sensitive to things. Once I was taking several a day my pharmacist moved me up to the glycyrrhizinated form. I use Douglas Laboratories' version - started with once a day and now am at 2x a day. The pharmacist originally told me that it takes a couple of weeks to build up. I would say just go slowly and hopefully you will find a difference!

Hi Sophia3

As mentioned by Flop, I am taking Licorice Root. I was prescribed Florinef by my Cardiologist (well, in Spain it is named different), but refused taking it because I thought that being intolerant to casein I could not.

The Cardiologist agreed to try Licorice Root instead. And so we did.

(After talking with an Endocronoligist last week, I have been told that because that drug only contains lactose and not casein, I can take it... But that?s another story).

From the first day of taking Licorice Root my chest discomfort/pain dissappeared and I felt less dizzy and lightheaded. Regarding my blood pressure, I am afraid I cannot give you an accurated answer, because of two things:

1. I am also taking a beta blocker which decreases blood pressure. Therefore it is very difficult to know if the Licorice Root is really doing something.

Even though, the fact is that my blood pressure was pretty low before taking it and although still low now, it has not gone much lower.

2. Because symptoms started to re-appear/worsen again months later I convinced my GP to continue tests. I had read on DINET that POTS can be caused by adrenal problems and after investigating about it, became surprised how my symptoms matched with the ones mentioned to be: Adrenal Insufficiency.

The test of the GP showed an extremely low aldosterone level. The second test to check cortisol, showed a low level (under normal values). It is therefore very likely that I have Adrenal Insufficiency. Maybe Addison. I am looking forward to some further tests to confirm it.

This means that if I really have an adrenal problem, if I am not wrong nothing would have improved my health unless taking hydrocortisone and/or fludrocortisone... And up to this moment, I have no idea if Licorice Root is able to improve my health without the most suitable treatment to replace these hormones... You see, Licorice Root can help me to retain sodium and should increase my BP, but if I have Addison, what I really need is a drug to replace the hormones that my adrenal glands do not segregate (and therefore, fludrocortisone and hidrocortisone are needed)... It is very complicated, but I think you might understand what I mean as your sister has an adrenal problem. I am still learning a lot about all this.

To summarize, as my experience can be doubtfull, I would rather recommend to rely on Dsdmom?s answer.

Even though, I hope you do not mind if I insist that every person is different. Therefore, if you try, be patient. It is not easy to change our health from one day to another...

Take care,

Tessa

Thanks to ALL for the feedback !!!!

I have been taking it just a few days and am having a decent energy day considering it is DARK, GLOOMY and rainy...course it could be a "RANDOM GOOD DAY" so I no longer try to tie new things to good days until there is a CONSISTENT PATTERN.

I take NATURE's SUNSHINE, which is a good brand and even know of an Amish doc that invented one of their formulas and also another AMish guy sells this stuff. It has an excellent reputation for quality. 30 years ago my father saw a great Amish healer who sold this brand.

I have been interested in herbs and nutrition since 1980 and of this Licorice root IS THE KEY to adrenal support and helping POTS, I will sign up to be a distributor! LOL..provided it is one of those deals where I am not bullied into selling more and recruiting. :) Heck, I would sell MUD PIES if they proved taking capsules of mud would help this illness! :)

The nearest store to sell this stuff is 25 or so minutes away....but I have a message into my sister to see when she is getting her next supply. She takes the liquid drops version.....

So anyway, I am "hoping" this could bring my BP out of the basement and yes, am starting slowly. I used to be MUCH MORE SAVVY about herbs and nutrition when I worked in the biz years ago...worked briefly in health food store in 1980. Sadly, herbs and even VITAMINS get a BUM RAP due to poor manufacturers with bad quality control. And pushy sales people....

Anyway, will wait another month to give a full report on if this stuff helps or not. I know I have seen many mention it here over the years. Also I take the kind with Glyzirin (or whatever that word is in it) to help retain fluids and boost BP.

Thanks